Poor TV Sound

Old 05-25-11, 05:04 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Poor TV Sound

I have a new RCA Wide Screen TV that has a good picture, but poor sound. The TV will not allow Audio Output while in HDMI mode which i use to connect a DVR from the cable company. The Audio Output only works when in antenna mode.

What can I do , inexpensively, to produce better sound?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-11, 08:56 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can you run a different audio output from the DVR to your stereo? Depending on DVR and/or cable box, you may have digital coax, digital optical (toslink), and RCA red & white.

Old 06-02-11, 09:23 AM
N
what makes you think its the TV and not the DVR from the cable company? HDMI carries both audio and vidieo signals could the problem be the DVR's HDMI out? does the DVR have component out (red/blue/green) along with an audio out (red/white, or digitial) - have you tried that?

Old 06-02-11, 03:44 PM
R
No Tv Audio Output

Thanks for the recent replies. I had a DVR problem and was out of commission for awhile, but back now. The RCA television states that the audio output does not work unless you are in antenna mode and not HDMI mode from DVR. That Audio output is intended for a sound system. I am now going to try connecting to the Component Audio Output from the DVR, but suspect that even if it works I can only adjust volume of DVR output and not TV output..I'll post results.

Old 07-02-11, 01:59 PM
R
I started this post involving RCA television. I have changed to a Philips tv but still have the same problem.
I want to hook up wired speakers without an amplifier, but this doesn't seem possible unless I go through the headset connection. This shuts off the internal speakers. I simply want to add 2 speakers without interrupting the original ones.

I am looking for a cheap way of doing this. A wireless system souonds like the best way, but I don't know what is required and, again, I want it to be cheap. I am not interested in hi-fi music, just voices from the tv for hard of hearing without affecting those nearer the tv.

Old 07-04-11, 05:22 AM
R
Can you post the model number of the Philips TV?

Old 07-04-11, 06:52 AM
R
Philips 47"1080p, 120hz, #47PFL5704D/F7

hAVE A GREAT 4TH...

Old 07-06-11, 04:19 AM
R
Thanks! I did have a great weekend.

The TV has no analog outputs other than the one you're using (headphone). It does have a digital coax output, so you could connect it to an external receiver and speakers. Make sure the receiver has a digital input (spdif). Another downside: The digital output is not controlled by the TV's volume control, so you'll need to have the receiver near your chair.

Old 07-06-11, 12:18 PM
R
Thanks, Rick. Guess this leaves me with an option of dismantling the connector inside the TV that turns off the internal speakers and then I will have external, using PC speakers, and the internal speakers. Again, the PC speaker sound is sufficient for a hard of hearing person to hear voice.

What do you think?

Old 07-06-11, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Its a new TV, modifying it will void any warranty....why not just buy a cheap surround system ($50-100) from WalMart. Most have a setting where the same sound comes from all speakers, and you might be able to adjust the rears to a higher volume.

Old 07-06-11, 01:02 PM
R
I'll look around. Thank you...

Old 07-06-11, 01:18 PM
R
Guess I'm still half-brainstorming. Can one use a wireless speaker without a sound system? Will they just pick up sound from tv, or how do they work. Sorry, but this is kinda new to me.

Old 07-06-11, 09:04 PM
R
Never apologize for asking questions.

Wireless systems typically use a transmitter that is connected with cables to the source (in your case, the TV). The speakers have built-in receivers. The speakers require house power, so it's not really a completely wireless system. Battery-powered speakers are available but the batteries don't last very long. In your case, you would have to find a wireless speaker system that accepts SPDIF (digital RCA) as a source.

Try the headphone jack again, but this time don't plug it in all the way so it cuts off the TV's speakers. You may only get one channel of a stereo signal, but that might be enough to assist hard-of-hearing.

Old 07-09-11, 02:05 PM
R
Finally got it working. Bought a cheap set of powered PC type speakers (2 watts and $7.00) at Big lots. Filed down the end of the connector to prevent it from turning off the internal speakers. Works great!

Remote still controls all sound plus it has a volume control on the PC speakers that allow for fine tuning.

Thx for all your help.