Trying to hook up the cable in the rest of the house...

Old 05-26-11, 06:22 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to hook up the cable in the rest of the house...

So my girlfriend and I are getting ready to move into our new place. The people before us only had one cable port activated. Each room is wired for cable, I just need to install the plates for each room. I walked outside and looked for the cable coming into the house to see what I was dealing with. I'll admit this is something I have yet to tackle...ever. I can run wiring through the walls, but when it comes to hooking it all up properly so there is cable, I'm lost.

So I went outside and saw the cable box and 10 coax cables coming out of the house. 2 are blue and the rest are the basic cable lines. One of those lines is connected to the orange cable line coming into the house. It looks like a ground plate connects both of these lines, the rest are just hanging there unconnected.

My question is, is there a way I can connect the other lines from the house to the existing cable line coming into the house? Is there some sort of splitter I should use? Is it even possible to connect the lines I need to the existing single cable coming in? Or is this something that the cable company has to do?

I have some pics that I will post up later tonight.

Any help is appreciated

ßill

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-11, 04:51 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums.

Are you sure they are all coax cables? Blue is typically used for data (ethernet) and orange for fiber. Have you traced them to see where they go?

Old 05-27-11, 02:18 PM
D
These are all the lines coming out of the house:

You can see all the cable lines, and the two ethernet lines.

This is the line coming into the house connected to one of the lines coming out of the house.

Old 05-27-11, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Looks like you have 7 plus the one its hooked to. Get a 8 way splitter.

Now as far as the data cable??? I think its the cable companys responsibilty for that box, and I think somethings missing.

Mike NJ

Old 05-27-11, 06:49 PM
D
Will this 8-way splitter cause the signal to weaken at all? Not a huge fan of a horrible picture.

Is there also a minimum bandwith I should be looking for? I'd figure the more bandwith the better the signal, correct?

Thanks

ßill

Last edited by DIYcarguy; 05-27-11 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-27-11, 07:02 PM
Yes. Will it decrease the signal enough to cause video problems: it's possible. You need to find out how much signal is arriving at the house. Your cable provider can come out and measure it. A properly terminated 8 way splitter will result in a nominal 16 dB drop in signal strength to each of the output ports.

Old 05-27-11, 07:19 PM
D
Is there anyway around losing the signal strength? Is this how the cable company would add more lines?

I want to try and keep this as close to what they would do as possible.

ßill

Old 05-27-11, 09:35 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
How many ACTIVE connections do you need? In other words, how many televisions do you plan on using? If only three then all you need is a three-way splitter. If you need all eight to be active then you will need an amplifier to connect first to the incoming cable. Some amplifiers have a single outlet that would then feed the splitter and some amplifiers will have a built-in splitter. Prices start at about $10-15 and go up to over $100.

Old 06-01-11, 10:01 AM
D
We are probably going to use 3 or 4 total....MAYBE 5 at max. If a splitter will be fine for those few then I'll pick one up and go from there.

I may just look into an amplifer anyway to keep the signal stronger.

ßill

Old 06-01-11, 10:20 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I marked all of the cables in my house where they meet in the utility room after I figured out where the other end of each one was. Then I hooked up only those which had an appliance on the other end - huge difference in picture quality over the installation when all were hooked up to a giant splitter.

Old 06-02-11, 10:23 AM
D
I never intended to hook them all up, just enough for the needed TV's. The problem will be figuring out which wire is which. This looks to be turning into my entire Saturday.

Thanks for everything!

Old 06-02-11, 11:00 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I used a small TV and moved it around the house as I hooked up individual cables - not fun but I had the whole house done in an hour