toshiba dvd

Old 12-11-11, 06:44 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
toshiba dvd

A year ago I bought a toshiba recorder dvd. yesterday the older dvd went south so i tried to hook up the toshiba got everything to work however I cant record. I dont have a coaxial input on the dvd. just thinking if they make a coaxial to s vido or a coaxial to rca cable just so I can get a input to the dvd player so I can record on it. I have an older tv with 3 rca jacks on the back. I run that to a a-b switch. The a-b switch to the vcr and also to the dvd. The cable (coaxial) in goes to the vcr, out the vcr to the tv. I just need a way to get that cable (coaxial) to the dvd using 1 rca jacks, 2 s vidio

Old 12-12-11, 05:01 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Coax cable and RCA carry two different, incompatible signals. A simple adapter cable won't work.

Try connecting the yellow, red & white outputs from the VCR to the inputs of the DVD. The outputs of the DVD would then go to the TV and you won't need the switch.

Old 12-13-11, 01:03 AM
G
If I hook it up that way will I be able to record on the dvd?. Do I have to have the vcr on to record on the dvd?

Old 12-13-11, 03:36 AM
R
Yes and yes. To watch a different channel than the one you're recording, you may have to use a splitter on the coax to go to (1) the vcr and (2) the TV.

Old 12-13-11, 10:06 AM
G
Thank you I'll give it a try and let you know if it works. Thanks again

Old 12-16-11, 09:41 AM
Does your Toshiba DVD recorder have a built-in TV tuner? Some DVD recorders do, and some don't. If it does not have a coaxial input, then I doubt if it has a built in TV tuner. You need to check your owner's manual to confirm that the DVD recorder is designed for off-the-air recording and incorporates a built in tuner.

Old 12-17-11, 06:46 AM
R
I don't believe it has a tuner in it. From the OP: "I dont have a coaxial input on the dvd."

Old 12-18-11, 03:03 PM
G
I tried to hook it up today with the rca jacks. No luck , guess I'll have to save up for a new tv. Thanks all for trying to help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: