New Cable outlet with modem

Old 01-10-12, 01:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Cable outlet with modem

Alright, so I want a new cable outlet in my living room. My plan is to splice the coax line in my attic (slab foundation) and install a split term then run a new line into my living room. Simple, right? Well here's my question. The line I'm going to splice serves my cable modem. By splicing this line, will this affect my modem services and connections? The line is set as the strongest point in the house at the box outside, but I'm still nervous. Any ideas?

Old 01-10-12, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Well...the best thing is to always do as straight a run as possible from the cable box to the modem. One splitter at the box feeds direct to the modem, then anything else gets split from one of the other outputs of the initial splitter.

That said...I have a split on the line to my modem to feed the TV in the office and have had no connection or speed problems. There may also be another splitter up there that I don't remember now as the office was not originally wired for cable. All my lines are RG6 with press fit connectors (no crimp on) and I made hundreds of coax cables in the Navy...so that may have helped.

Old 01-10-12, 11:11 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would cut the cable and insert the 2-way splitter. If the modem stops working remove the splitter and put a barrel connector in its place. Find another place to insert the splitter.

Old 01-11-12, 10:50 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I split the feed into my house initially into all of the jacks - modem and TV - and the internet performance was awful. Only when I split the feed into two - one for the modem and the other for all of the TVs - did I have good internet performance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: