Direct TV connection to 2 HDTV's ?

Old 01-12-12, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Direct TV connection to 2 HDTV's ?

I have a Dual LNB Direct TV Receiver connected to the HDTV at that location with Component Video Cables. I have another HDTV in a bedroom that I want to connect to the same receiver. The cable length would be about 50 feet (up into the attic -across to the bedroom and back down). I'm thinking of using HDMI and CAT5 or CAT6 for this connection. I don't want to use RF cable because I understand that it won't transmit HD. Do I have this correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-12, 04:32 PM
It will be cheaper to run component cables to the distant TV, and to use the HDMI for the local TV. Cat converters are widely available, but expensive.

Old 01-12-12, 04:42 PM
You need to clarify your set up.Dual lnb is part of the dish not the reciever. Dish network has the only reciever I know of that will run two tvs at the same time from the same reciever,and then only the primary set is HD. Direct Tv has a dual tuner dvr that allows you to playback recordings on any tv you have that has a DTV reciever. Also DTV HD recievers do not have coax output available on them.

Old 01-12-12, 05:30 PM
Hi Craftsman,

DirectTV has a variety of outlets that can go to other other TV's. The dual LNB is input to the DirectTV receiver, allowing input to allow simultaneous recording and viewing of 2 different programs. As far as running 2 different TV's from the same receiver - I currently have the second TV connected via the RF (coax) cable but the picture quality is not HD. You can only watch the same program - whatever is being sent out by the receiver, but that's not a concern at this time. If I wanted I could get another receiver and put a splitter on the incoming wires from the antenna to serve both receivers - but I don't need to do that.

Rick,

I don't think the Component Video Cables will serve 50 feet. My understanding is that 15 feet is about the limit. Is that wrong?

Old 01-13-12, 03:41 AM
What's the model number of the receiver?

HDMI has a limit, and 50 feet is pushing it. But have a look at this: 50ft Pro Series CL2 HDMI Cable - Cables To Go

Component cables can run quite a bit farther. We have 3x RG6 running nearly 300 feet in several school auditoriums without problems. 50ft CMG-Rated Component Video Cable With Low Profile Connectors - Cables To Go

You'll also need the audio cables for the component connection: 50ft CMG-Rated RCA Stereo Audio Cable With Low Profile Connectors - Cables To Go

Notice that all of the cables are rated for in-wall use. They are more expensive than the cheepos, but it is important.

If you're good with tools you could buy 250 feet of bulk RG6. Pull five runs (3 for video and two for audio) and put RCA connectors on them.

Old 01-13-12, 07:31 AM
Or, you can get an HD transmitter/receiver: 50 ft is within it's range.

fred

Old 01-13-12, 10:55 AM
OK, I've ordered a 50' HDMI Cable - it will be the easiest to run from the receiver to the bedroom TV. I got it for $49 from monoprice.com

The also have a "wireless" HDMI extender kit that I may use in the future in my main home where I need to relocate the receiver in order to take advantage of the dual inputs - the house was wired with just a single coax system when it was built in 1992 and there's no easy way to get the dual feed to the current receiver location at the television.

Last edited by Joe.Carrick; 01-13-12 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 07:37 AM
Please let us know how it works. I'm especially interested to hear if it works at 1080p.