Mounting a TV into metal studs and a board

Old 04-20-12, 07:11 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mounting a TV into metal studs and a board

Hi All,

I've been furiously reading up mounting TV's into metal studs recently and I've decided that I'm going to put a large board of painted plywood up on the wall first, screwed into the metal studs, then mount the tv in to that. This large piece of plywood will not be inside the wall, it'll be outside of the wall, screwed into the studs.

My questions are:

1) How thick should this plywood be and would MDF be better?
2) what are the recommended screws to use for this piece of plywood/MDF and how many should I use (I've got two studs to work with, so I'm thinking 2 into each stud)
2) Once the board is up, how to I screw the TV mount into it - normal wood mounts, or should I be going through the plywood and the through the metal studs with toggle bolts?

Thanks for any feedback - I'm really looking forward to getting started on this in a few weeks!

Thanks

Bouffont

Old 04-20-12, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Get your mount system first. - This is assuming you will have a swivel/tilt mount.

Most instructions will tell you to first attach the mounting plate/system (depending on the TV hole mounts).

After that determine where you want the center of the TV. Then check to see where the available studs are. Then attach a piece of 3/4" plywood to the available studs. Usually the height and width of the plywood will accommodate a size of plywood that is smaller than the TV and will provide enough space to put in screws into the wrinkled tin studs.

In this way you attach your mounting system to the plywood that is attached to a wall system that can handle the 40# to 80# TV on a common swivel mount. - I mounted a 37" TV on a tilt/swivel mount and the TV required a 8"x8" pattern to attach the TV to the mount and the mounting system required 3 bolts vertically spaced into a wall surface. Larger sets will require larger mounting patterns, but the mounting system controls the attachments. Even with wrinkled tin studs, a 3/4" plywood panel will distribute the load easily over the area that can be connected.

If you get into a 105" flat screen it is much easier because the available mounting area is greater.

Dick

Old 04-21-12, 04:11 AM
R
I wouldn't use MDF for anything structural. Besides being nasty to work with (creating an incredible amount of dust when cut) it has a hard time maintaining its grip on wood screws. They strip easily and will pull out under load.

Before you mount the plywood, drill the mounting plate holes in it and install T-nuts on the back side of the plywood. If it happens that one of those holes lines up with a stud, drill a pilot hole through the drywall and stud and use a lag screw to hold both the mount and the plywood at that point.

Old 04-21-12, 05:42 PM
B
Thanks for your replies!

Rick - T Nuts, that's the kind of thing I was wondering about - I wondered how a piece of 3/4 ply would hold a mount and this answers it - I'll just have to find a bolt that goes in without then damaging the wall behind it.

With regards to attaching the plywood to the metal studs, should I be using lag screws/bolts for that too, or toggle bolts?

Thanks

Old 04-23-12, 04:14 AM
R
Toggle bolts seem to be the preferred method.

I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the wall with the bolts through the t-nuts. You'll have to repair the wall to fix the toggle-bolt holes anyway. In fact, it will help the plywood sit flush to the wall if you drill the wall behind the t-nuts to the depth of the bolt.

A little spackle is an easy repair.

Old 04-23-12, 06:49 AM
A
Received 294 Upvotes on 269 Posts
For wood screws or self tapping screws into metal (formed sheet metal) studs, it is the quantity (number) of screws, not their size, that determines how strong your mount is. A reasonably sized piece of plywood behind the TV allows more screws to be used. Be careful about tightening the screws excessively; if one should strip its threads, it becomes totally useless.

In wood, several turns worth of the spiral screw thread provide holding power. Into sheet metal, only one turn worth of the spiral screw thread provides holding power thus the need for more screws.

With all kinds of mounts, it is the screws highest up that are the most important.

Old 02-05-13, 11:14 AM
D
I have a similar question. My tv is about 20 lbs. Mount is relatively low profile (only tilts slightly) and weighs very little (maybe 5 lbs). So I will be hanging about 25 lbs.
I put 4 lag screws into 2 metal studs and 4 1/4" toggle bolts into drywall.
I would think this should be more than adequate for the tv. What do you think?

Old 02-07-13, 04:54 AM
R
1/4-20 togglers alone are rated at over 250 pounds each into 1/2" drywall. I would never install something that came close to that number, but 4 of them holding 20 pounds is more than adequate. Add the lags and that TV should be able to handle slam-dunks.

Old 02-12-13, 05:50 AM
D
Thanks. That is what I did. TV looks great and seems very secure!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: