Mounting TV to wall with 2 lag bolts.

Old 04-16-14, 03:34 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mounting TV to wall with 2 lag bolts.

My studs are 24" on center. Will 2 lag bolts in a single stud hold a 30lb TV mount with a 45lb LED TV attached? The mount is not wide enough to hit 2 studs.

Old 04-16-14, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The 2 lags will hold the shear weight, but you need toggle bolts in the other holes to help with twist other undesired movement.

Old 04-16-14, 04:23 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
For a standard flat/tilting mount it will be fine. Use the two into the stud, and use four Toggler anchors at the corners.

For an articulating mount (the kind that pulls out from the wall and swivels/tilts) it will not be strong enough. They MUST hit two studs. If this is the kind of mount you have (which I'm guessing it is based on you saying it's 30lbs), you will have to install a 'bridge'. In your case this would be a 28" long piece of 2x12 that would be lagged into the studs (you can paint/finish it however you want). Then you mount the back plate to the 2x12 using the four corners.

Old 04-20-14, 09:56 AM
A
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
If you have one lag bolt for each end of the 2x12 bridge, the bolt should closer to the top edge instead of being centered on the wood. For example 2 inches below the top edge instead of 5-1/2 inches. This provides more strength to withstand outward stress. A second lag bolt on each side should go a little above center as opposed to near the bottom edge of the bridge.

Also you need to be sure that the lag bolts go in reasonably near the centers of the respective studs as opposed to splintering the side edges.

Strength to withstand downward force is the same no matter how the bolt is positioned vertically.

Similarly for the metal flange of the TV mount, the largest bolts should be put in the uppermost holes, but still need to go into wood whether that be the 2x12 bridge or a single stud directly behind. The same size or smaller screws may be used in the lower holes to resist twisting of the mount.

Not convinced? Take an L shaped shelf bracket. Using one screw, attach it to a wall or an upright scrap 2x4 or a tree using one screw in the topmost mounting hole (with the vertical side either up or down). Get a feel for how much weight it can hold. Now take it apart and refasten it using the lowest available mounting hole. Again, get a feel for how much weight it can hold.

Old 04-20-14, 10:52 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sorry I thought it was implied that the bridge needed to be fastened using four bolts.

Old 04-20-14, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I read what you posted allan. I don't think it pertains to the TV brackets at hand here. The horizontal brackets are the wall ones. The vertical brackets go on the TV.

Name:  tv.jpg
Views: 9254
Size:  16.7 KB

On the left would be a typical application. There are only 4 places where you could put the lags. Those are marked in red.

The OP has the installation on the right. His horizontal brackets will not span his 24" beam spacing. Matt's idea with the togglers is the ideal installation. It's a method I have also used before. It is not advised for a pullout type mount.
An alternative installation is to fasten a piece of wood beam to beam and then install the bracket to that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: