In-ceiling place holder

Old 04-15-14, 12:41 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In-ceiling place holder

I recently took down ceiling in my home, for wiring recessd lights, i have run cable for rear/side speakers for a 7.1 speaker set up. Speaker enclosures are pretty expensive especially considering I don't have the speakers yet. What is a something i can use to hold the speaker wires, so that when I put dry wall up i can cut a hole to the place holder to put a speaker housing and speaker later.

Old 04-16-14, 04:13 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A small screw-in hook near the top of the floor joist will hold the speaker cable in place. Cut a small hole in the drywall as a starter/placeholder and cover it temporarily with a blank single-gang wall plate.

Old 04-16-14, 06:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I just coil the wire at the speaker location and hold it in place with a wire staple. Draw a diagram of the room and measure off the locations where you have the wire and label everything very clearly. Make sure to note joist locations as the speakers will have to go in the bay between joists.

Make a few copies of your drawing a nail or tape one up next to your circuit panel, one with your entertainment center documents & manuals... When it comes time to add the speakers you'll be cutting pretty big holes so reaching through and pulling down the wire is easy. If you never install the speakers you have a nice smooth ceiling free of cover plates.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: