Digital Optical Audio to RCA

Old 08-13-12, 08:55 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Digital Optical Audio to RCA

I just bought a plasma LG 60pa6550 and it appears the only audio output it has is one for Digital Optical. My trusty old stereo that still sounds fantastic only has RCA outputs. I've been searching for a cable that would have RCA jacks on one end and digital optical on the other end. Does such a thing exist? I'm seeing a lot of options on the internet, but none look like they would work. Any suggestions on what I might need?

Attached Images  
Old 08-14-12, 04:05 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Optical outputs are digital and use light to transmit the signal. The RCA inputs on your stereo are analog and use copper. You need a converter, not just a cable.

Here's one from Amazon. Gefen is a good brand.

Old 08-14-12, 07:07 AM
B
Thanks for the reply. I actually just bought one from radio shack to see if it would work. I also had to buy an optical audio cable. The converter was about $40 and the cable was $17. With tax and everything, it ended up costing me about 65 bucks just get my old stereo to work with my new tv. A cost I really didn't consider when purchasing my new tv.

So anyone that is considering buying a new tv and plans on using it with an older stereo system for surround sound, etc, keep this additional cost in mind. Or make sure your new tv has analog audio out, which I don't think many/any do these days...

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-14-12, 05:48 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If I were you I'd return it all. Cables are something you NEVER buy from a store like Radio Shack or Best Buy, because they are pure markup. There's virtually no performance difference between cheap-yet-good-quality off-brand cables and expensive name brands, especially with regard to digital connections like optical, PCM, and HDMI. That $40 adapter is overpriced too.

I've used Monoprice audio/video switchgear and cables for years with no issues and saved quite a bundle.

$23 for the adapter..

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

And about $2-3 for the optical cable, depending on the length you want..

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10229

Shipping would be about $8, so you're still less than $35 all told.

Old 02-08-13, 11:23 AM
J
Check for a 3.5 audio out!

Dealing with this same issue on an LG with an older receiver. I was going to order from monoprice (I order from them whenever possible) but then noticed there was a 3.5mm out on the left side of the LG. a couple bucks for a 3.5mm to RCA did the trick. Went into the LGs menu and turned off TV speakers, now the TV remote controls the receiver! It's a low cost alternative to the $60 RadioShack or $25+s/h monoprice option. Plus I read that those optical to analog converters don't work for 5.1 sources or at least downgrade it to stereo.

Old 04-19-14, 05:30 PM
S
I'm having the same problem with my LG TV. Trying to plug my 5.1 Home Theater Audio Subwoofer Speaker System to the TV. I bought the digital to analog audio adapter and an optical audio cable from radioshack (spent too much for these two items - should have read this forum before). After testing, it does not work very well and i'm getting a noisy feedback.

For the 3.5mm to RCA solution, the question is do you still need to use a converter or a direct link from TV to the receiver will work? I'm not very familiar with the subject but i'm guessing the 3.5 mm outputs an analog signal?

Old 04-19-14, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yes synned...the 3.5mm would be analog, no converter required. If you have any further questions, please start a new thread.

Old 04-20-14, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Based on the amount of views this thread has it's a popular subject. Keep in mind.... you can also get an audio output source from your cable/satellite convertor box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: