TV to DVD recorder connection

Old 12-07-12, 03:49 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
TV to DVD recorder connection

Hi- I have a LCD TV with WiFi capability. I can watch music videos on it using WiFi. I also have a DVD recorder. I want to somehow connect the TV to the DVD recorder so that I can record on discs anything I like on TV. This is a very new TV and has lots of connections. But I don't see anything on it that says Video Out or something like that so that I connect this to the Video IN on my recorder. All the connections seem to be for "incoming" signals except for two audio out terminals. Is there something that can be done or am I chasing my tail here ?

Old 12-08-12, 05:38 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You may be out of luck, friend.

TVs are destination devices, so they typically don't have video outputs.

The DVD recorder can't record digital content (including HD), so that eliminates what you're watching from wifi, digital cable, bluray and over-the-air.

You could aim a camcorder at the screen, record the shows, then transfer them to DVD. The loss of quality would probably not be acceptable.

Old 12-08-12, 10:27 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Actually it depends on what model DVD recorder you have as to whether you can record directly off the air. I have Panasonic DVD recorders throughout my house so I can record several tv shows at once and every one has a built in tuner. As to models without tuners some require a cable box for recording but some models including some Panasonics without tuners will use the tv tuner via HDMI cable if they communicate properly with each other. It just depends so I have to agree to disagree as you probably are not out of luck at least not yet. The thing to look for at least with Panasonics is what they call a Viera link and it might or might not be in your DVD recorders literature so if you don't see it call the manufacturers up. No guarantees of course but don't give up yet.

Old 12-09-12, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Another possibility could be dependent on your TV source.
Not sure how your service works but if you have analog cable you need a tuner in your TV to select channels and would need a tuner for your recording device.

Here if you have digital cable, dsl based digital TV or a satellite receiver the channel is selected on the converter box and most of them have an analog TV output.

We have digital satellite and send an HDMI signal to our TV and computer and have the house piped with analog coax that is split to a DVD recorder.

Old 12-09-12, 05:44 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My answer was based on the OP's desire to record "anything I like on TV," which includes TV over IP.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: