Want to mount flat scren TV on rock face of fireplace

Old 01-01-13, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want to mount flat scren TV on rock face of fireplace

Want to mount a flatscren TV to my fireplace. I have attached a picture of the shape of the area above the fireplace to help understand the issues. The questions I have are:

1. What type of mount (brand, etc) will work on this irregular surface?
2. How do I run the wires so it doesn't look like junk? The other side of the fireplace is the outside of the house.

Name:  fireplace.jpg
Views: 34572
Size:  49.2 KB

Thank you for the help:

Steve

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
fireplace.pdf (47.3 KB, 723 views)

Last edited by ray2047; 01-02-13 at 07:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-13, 10:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
Steve......when I saw this thread in the list I thought a friend of mine had sent it in.

You've got what looks like flat type rock.
I have to mount a TV to an actual boulder chimney.

I don't have any actual advice for you yet as I am still working on my friends.
I'm pretty sure I will be mounting some type of board to the chimney and then mount the bracket to the board.

As far as running the wires I haven't figured it out yet.

Old 01-02-13, 05:37 AM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
With the TV mounts I have in our house, the back plate (that mounts to the wall) has 4-6 bolt locations generally. You probably could get away with a standard TV mount kit, with wood shims behind the mounting points to square the bracket.

Old 01-02-13, 06:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Is there an external chase for the chimney? I ask because you said on the other side of the rock was the outside of the house.

Normally provisions are made for attaching mantels and TV brackets/wiring prior to the rock going up, so you have a hard nut to crack. The rock will not hold the TV by themselves, so you have to drill into the substrate, which I hope is plywood, and use tall shim washers to make the mount sit flat, although the rock says otherwise. As far as wiring, you may have to remove a rock behind your mount, either by prying it out or cutting with a masonry blade, installing an electrical box/low voltage box combo and run the wiring in the chase. A picture of the entire set up would help. If you can post them HTML rather than PDF, it would help a little.

Old 01-02-13, 07:14 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I've converted your picture this time. In the future please include your picture as a JPG, JPEG, PNG, or GIF. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Old 01-02-13, 04:08 PM
The rock on the face is Pho-rock, or whatever it is called. It is an insert fireplace with the rock over it. Outside, is that slotted plywood you see on so many homes framed into a box. BTW, is there a standard height for screens from the floor?

One question, are the mounts always smaller that the physical dimensions of the screen? I was thinking a 30 inch would be right; is the mount less than that? As you can tell, this is my first time doing this. TY for the advice. Steve

Old 01-02-13, 04:19 PM
Drill into one of the grout lines with a masonry bit and see if there is wood or even better, cement board behind it..

If there is then you will have a good base to drive screws into to hold up a mount..

As for hiding the wires, that might not be so easy.. you might want to get a tv that is the same width or wider that the fireplace, then run the wires to the side of the fireplace and down.... see, I just gave you a good reason to buy a bigger TV!

Old 01-02-13, 04:48 PM
Doubt the OP will be able to find a TV the width of the fireplace just to hide wires. Gee, mom, I found this 100" flat screen on sale!!!!

McMahst, most mounts are substantially smaller than the screen itself. The only parameters are the mounting holes on the back of the screen and the weight it will hold with proper support.
Your faux rock may be on OSB with tar paper and lath, which may be good in providing support for your lag bolts. You can drill through the faux rock much easier than you can real stone, too.

Old 01-02-13, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
A 30" screen ?

That would be kind of small.
You'll probably be looking more in the 40"-50" category.

Old 01-03-13, 03:21 PM
Thank you to those who provided me the rationale for a larger screen; I love you guys. If I drill a hole through the grout, what will be the sign of plywood verses cement board; will I be able to see the remains on the drill bit to confirm. Also, what do you estimate is the distance from the backing material to the fireplace insert. I don't want to drill a hole into it.

One of the questions I asked and I don't think I got a response: Do I have to buy a plasma TV or are the newer LCDs thin enough to mount?

Steve

Old 01-04-13, 01:31 PM
Group Moderator
You'll need to use a masonry bit to drill the grout......after you get thru the grout you'll be looking for a lighter colored masonry product or sawdust.

LCD's are fine in your application. I guess you have a mantle ? Wouldn't want to melt that 80" LCD screen. Did I say that

Old 01-04-13, 07:43 PM
PJ is right. You need to do a triangulation forumula to make sure your installation isn't too close to the fireplace opening without a mantel. My diagram is in the shop and it's dark outside, but if you drop by a fireplace shop they can give you a brochure on any fireplace insert and it will have the triangulation formula on it.

Old 01-04-13, 10:58 PM
Will that formula tell me where the insert is in relation to the fasade? Also, should I have a mantal in order to deflect the heat?

Old 01-05-13, 06:02 AM
The mantel is to put nick nacks on, nothing more. It should not be in the heat vector at all. That is the purpose of the triangulation formula. So the heat does not affect anything above the firebox. Ambient air will cool the heated air sufficiently enough as it emerges from the firebox so at the proper protrusion, heat won't be a problem.