Do in-wall and in-ceiling speakers create a lot of noise to nearby rooms?

Old 01-26-13, 01:28 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do in-wall and in-ceiling speakers create a lot of noise to nearby rooms?

I am doing a complete renovation of my basement. i would like to make it a home theatre TV room.

I am thinking about adding some hidden speakers in the walls and ceilings. I've never added speakers within the walls before. Is the sound going to really disturb the other people in the rooms nearby? I'm especially concerned about noise going to an upstairs room and adjoining office room.

Old 01-26-13, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
In wall speakers are good for music in dentist's office, but I don't think the sound quality you are looking for can be obtained with them. Quality speakers are great, but you have to think about what they are housed in for a complete spectrum of sound. Just a few ideas.

Old 01-26-13, 07:03 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 436 Upvotes on 388 Posts
I'd agree wholeheartedly with Larry. I installed some pretty decent in-wall speakers in the kitchen. They work great for background music, and they work great. But I'd never use them for quality home-theater type sound. Because they are mounted in the wall, they do transmit a lot of sound into the neighboring room.

Old 01-27-13, 05:09 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sorry guys, I have to disagree. JBL, Tannoy and many others are making some incredible sounding built-ins, including subs. They are quite pricey, though.

Any speaker that's coupled to a structure will transmit sound -- especially bass sounds -- to the other rooms through the walls and floors. The preventive fix is to isolate and insulate. Many designers build a room within a room. Again, not cheap.

Old 01-27-13, 05:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Good to know, Rick, but who would want to pay double for a good sound system. By "double", I mean, of course, the high cost of the system itself, then pay to have sound deadening installed between walls, which, IMO would be a moot point since the speakers would probably take up much of the space in the wall allowing not much room for insulation. And, as you said, it needs to be coupled to the structure, not just stuck in sheetrock.

I dare to say the sound quality may be excellent, but a good walnut set of speaker boxes with quality speakers would trump them. Plus they are portable.

Old 01-29-13, 07:16 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is a bit of a dilemma. I already am going for the nice quality sound insulation between the walls, however if I have to build another layer of wall + sound proofing to quell the noise then this project may be a no-go.

What about this idea... If I do out in the nice quality blown-in sound insulation and new drywall which I am already doing anyway... then, I do a hollow beam design on the ceilings. And then hide the speaker wires and speakers in the hollow beams... Would that work ok for decent sound and decent sound proofing so that other rooms don't hear the music?

Old 01-29-13, 07:47 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 436 Upvotes on 388 Posts
Why are you stuck on in-wall speakers?

Hollow beams... I'd imagine it would work, but I would suggest assembling them with construction adhesive along with the normal nails or screws to reduce any rattling.

Old 01-30-13, 03:57 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Here's a sample of one of the ways to isolate:
En-Wall

Old 01-30-13, 04:26 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
An inclusure in the wall itself will help but it's not all that good for soundproofing.
I made an enclosure for my 6x9s I ran in the garage. With the proper calcs to create the air space, the quality was pretty good.
If you need to worry about disturbing other rooms, I would right this project off for anything more then low background music.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: