question on gluing broken plastic volume shaft on Onkyo receiver

Old 01-29-13, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
question on gluing broken plastic volume shaft on Onkyo receiver

We have an older Onkyo receiver with a volume knob attached to a typical black plastic shaft shaped like a "D". Someone snapped off the plastic shaft flush with the receiver. I can use the remote to change the volume, so it is not critical that I fix it but would stil like to do so. I had drilled a small hole down the shaft and forced a piece of metal into it with a square profile, then did the same to the piece that is still inside the knob. I had tried to use super glue, but it did not hold. Does anyone know what the typical plastic is that these parts are made of? I don't think I used the right glue. I have seen other glues especially for plastic in the store. Would there be any other type of fix that may work better? Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-13, 08:03 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
A plastic epoxy should the trick.

Have you looked inside the receiver to confirm that the broken plastic piece is not simply an extension added the the potentiometer inside?
Sometimes they add an extention to the metal one. If this is the case, you could go through a local electronics shop and pick up a replacement extension and be good as new.

Pictures of what you are working with could help

Old 01-29-13, 08:24 AM
Thanks. It is at our condo so I can't post photo until Sunday. But will attempt to open up and look.

Old 01-29-13, 08:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
There is so little surface area that nothing will really stick well.
The biggest problem is keeping the glue from getting into the control shaft and seizing the control.

And I believe the plastic composition is polycarbonate.

Old 01-29-13, 09:11 AM
Will definitely check. For what it's worth, it is TX-SR701 model #. Tried calling Onkyo. Not very helpful. Just trying to figure out if shaft is an extension of potentiometer. Guy kept thinking I wanted new knob. Anyone know where I could find parts diagram?

Old 01-29-13, 09:34 AM
So I finally got some info from Onkyo for the TX-SR701. Part number is 25065627. It is called volume encoder. Looks like a small metal part with shaft sticking out one end. Hopefully this just fits on without any soldering. Has anyone had experience with this setup?

Old 01-29-13, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
An encoder is usually an optical switch. It's a light and a receiver. There is a disc with holes in it that interrupt the light beam. It could also be a magnetic type of encoder.

Either way.....it's going to be soldered to a printed circuit board or have wires directly connected to it. It may possibly have a plug to disconnect it.

On edit: Pic of part.

http://north.pl/karta/25065627-enkod...2-AW-3432.html

Last edited by PJmax; 01-29-13 at 09:42 AM. Reason: found pic
Old 01-29-13, 01:29 PM
Thanks. You guys have been incredibly helpful. I had seen it in a smaller picture, but from this larger picture, it does look like it may need to be soldered.
One other thing.....this knob turns continously....there is no stop on it. After one of these encoders is installed, does something in the electronics need to be "reset" so volume has certain range?
Thanks again.
Dave

Old 01-29-13, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
On that exact control there are three pins. The center pin is the common pin. As you turn the control to the right a pulsed connection is made between the right pin and common. Same for when you turn to the left.

So....basically you are only supplying the electronics with an up or down pulse. The electronics have no idea what the position of the switch is and nothing is required when the new one is installed..

I'm an electronics technician so I have powered desoldering equipment. For you to do this repair you'll need to remove the solder from the part using a small solder iron. If you don't have one.....get one. The foils to that control are going to be small and will burn off the board fairly easily. You could pick up a small one from the Shack as well as a roll of desoldering braid which will help you to remove the solder from your old part.

Desoldering Braid : Soldering Tools & Supplies | RadioShack.com

Old 01-30-13, 03:54 AM
Thanks very much. I do have a soldering iron and desoldering braid. When I'm done with the project, I'll post an update.

Old 02-05-13, 11:06 AM
OK. Here is an update. Instead of desoldering the old encoder and soldering in the new one, I simply clipped the 2 supports that were holding it on the board. This allowed me to carefully bend it back on the 3 pins and get to the underside of the metal case which was simply crimped in with 4 little tabs. I then removed the metal case and broken shaft and then reinstalled new shaft with the case and rebent the tabs. Took all of 2 minutes and works great! Thanks again.

Old 02-05-13, 11:59 PM
Group Moderator
I was just thinking about you.....perfect timing. Glad to hear all went well too.