Updating Home Video Distribution System

Old 02-15-13, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Updating Home Video Distribution System

I have an OnQ 3X8 Video Distribution terminal in my home system. It is currently working fine. However, I recently had one of my Dish Receiver's replaced due to hard disk failure, and the technician said that there was a lot of resistance in the system. He recommended replacing this distribution module with one that is much newer. This one is 12 years old, and as you can see from the attached picture, the way it is installed, it is very difficult to work on. Would it be a smart thing to replace this unit, and if so, what would you recommend?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-13, 09:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 516 Votes on 486 Posts
the technician said that there was a lot of resistance in the system. He recommended replacing this distribution module with one that is much newer.
Did he happen to have one

That is a unity gain distribution module which means whatever level you put into the module appears on the outputs. It's not considered an amplifier.

I don't know what the installer meant by resistance. I find more problems with F connectors that weren't installed right or have loosened up.

If it's working I don't see the need to change it.

That piece is still available from Legrand.
3x8 Enhanced Video Module | by Legrand

Old 02-16-13, 05:42 AM
Do you have an F connector tool? It makes panels like that one easy to work on.

Here's an example.

Old 02-16-13, 07:27 AM
As a matter of fact, the technician did say that Dish made one that would be much better. However, he did replace a number of the F connectors with newer ones.

The difficulty in working with the unit is in the way the original installer put it in the housing. They installed it on the right side so that all of the connections are right up against the side of the housing. With that many wires bent at a sharp angle, it is virtually impossible to get to any of the connections except the ones on the outside. Without completely disassemblying all of the connections, you can't even get to the little plugs that attached the unit to the housing so that it could be moved. The OnQ system was supposed to offer a lot of flexibility and be easy to change. It probably is when installed by someone that knows the system.

Thanks for your information and advice.

Old 02-17-13, 05:23 AM
Forgot to ask: Is the "Cable In" connector cross-threaded?

Old 02-17-13, 01:14 PM
WOW do you have good eyes!! It was indeed crossed. Now, since there is a cable plugged in there, and I am not using a cable provider, I have to find out what the port is being used for. I think it is for the #2 side of a DISH VIP 722 receiver. I have 2 of these and one distributes over channel 60 and the other over channel 64. Since I have my antenna input hooked to the #2 aux in, I am pretty sure this one is from one of the receivers. Thanks for bringing the cross thread to my attention. I have certainly viewed the module many times recently and did not notice it.