Old Panasonic TV, new remote no go, bad remote receiver?

Old 03-04-13, 06:35 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Old Panasonic TV, new remote no go, bad remote receiver?

Early 90's 21" CRT Panasonic TV, still has great audio & video. Universal remote (Radio Shack) of same era, became more & more intermittent over a period of a few months; new batteries, no improvement, finally stopped working completely.

Bought new remote a few days ago, spent an hour trying to program: automatic, manual, batch codes, no joy. Then, noticed that the tiny "dip-switch" like buttons on the TV front panel (to enable manual on/off, channel-change, volume control),
operated erratically: pushing volume would change channels, pushing channel up would cause channel down, etc. only the on/off button worked consistently.

a friend told me TV's "Remote Driver" is going out...presumably a circuit board of some sort.

Is this worth fixing??

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-13, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is a real old tv set and I personally think it is time to replace it especially if going up and down with the channels doesn't work right and the volume control doesn't work right either. When I first saw the title of your post I knew of a good place online to buy a good original replacement remote. Now though I don't think it is worth it as the newer LED and LCD tv sets are a great deal cheaper and I doubt very seriously you could even get the set repaired. Even if you could in my opinion I doubt it would be worth it as it would just cost too much.

Old 03-05-13, 04:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The problem with the tv buttons is that they have become corroded over time. As for the remote, try it on another set in the house. If it works it is most likely just not compatable to the panasonic.

Old 03-05-13, 08:00 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Thank you gentlemen, yeah I wouldn't even consider calling a repairman, I just wondered if a little $10 component needs replacing, & I'm good to go.

I think all of us DIY'ers fear that, after replacing an entire appliance, we later learn that a simple easy & inexpensive fix would have given it a new lease on life, if only we had the technical knowledge about it beforehand. I remember reading a few years ago, on this same site, of a common malfunction on some brands of digital TV converters, where a particular filter capacitor had a high failure rate, & indeed, after identifying the likely culprit in my converter, & soldering in a new 15 cent cap of a higher voltage value, it's been working fine ever since.

I can understand dip-switch contacts corroding after years & years of non-use, (it was never necessary, with a working remote), but even if the switches were exercised enough to restore correct operation, the remote control's receiving circuit would remain the problem. Oh, well...