Pioneer VSX-53

Old 03-10-13, 08:10 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Pioneer VSX-53

Hey all. Anybody out there have a Pioneer VSX-53 hooked up? Hooked mine up and can't get it to do exactly what I want. I am usually good at this stuff but the instructions are confusing. Won't get into details until I see if anyone is "out there" if you know what I mean
Thanks

Old 03-10-13, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I don't have that Elite piece but if you have any questions fire away. I service electronic equipment.

Pioneer came out with firmware revisions on that piece at the end of last year. Did you get them.

Old 03-10-13, 09:23 AM
D
Vsx-43

OK here goes. First off not hooked to LAN. Am using 5.1 . Have 2 B&W fronts One B&W Subwoofer a center channel and 2 rear surrounds. All speakers except sub hooked to appropriate round "post" on rear of unit and polarized correctly. Am positive of this. There is an RCA jack marked sub(1) which I have plugged into sub. Also have a trigger (1) out to Sub. I have my cable come out of wall into cable box and right into TV (HDMI #1) Don't see any need to go through Receiver.On receiver there is a HDMI out (Control?) which I ran to HDMI#2 on TV. I have a DVD player which I ran S-Video right to TV. Again not through Receiver. I DO have left and right from DVD audio going to Receiver (RCA jacks)From TV I also have left and right RCA jacks going to Receiver. I may have left something out but anyway
1. The remote will turn on and raise volume and switch modes but buttons for menu/program will not do anything
2. I did get tuner to work but had to turn up a lot to get sound. Not sure if this is a problem but I wasn't expecting
3. Can get DVD to play and also get TV channel to play through tuner so most connections I feel are OK.
4. I managed to do the sound check where you plug a mic in and it pumps out funny sounds and it was OK (but again I absolutely could not use the remote as the buttons just would not do anything!...I used the buttons on unit itself!)
There is more but we can start with that

Old 03-10-13, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
In the set up there should be a place where you can change the input sensitivity of device.....in your case the tuner.

I know that remote has a pretty involved set up menu.

I'm reading thru the owners manual......it sounds like your remote is currently set up to run another piece of equipment remotely. That would mean that instead of you being able to change the functions on your A/V piece with the remote...... something else is being controlled.... lots to read

Old 03-10-13, 10:30 AM
D
Vsx-53

yea..lots to read is right. I will have to sit/lay down and read it through. Also cannot get a peep out of sub except for test which was OK. Also when I did access the set-up menu for speakers and such a lot of stuff was "greyed out" mainly one that says 'trigger 1 and 2" which I think I need to activate the sub. I have it in and "on" with a green light and nothing although I am just playing a CD. The rears are playing but I want to shut them off. Also with the Receiver came a cable with a HDMI and an RCA jack on one and and a flat thin connection which unless I am missing something there isn't a connection anywhere. I thought that would be the connection with my laptop and the receiver which would make things easier because I did load the CD. Unless my eyes are going (they are!) I don't see where to plug it into

Old 03-10-13, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
The only cable that I know of that comes with that unit is an Ipod cable

Old 03-10-13, 02:24 PM
D
Vsx-53

yea I just looked it up. It's an i-pod cable.. I don't own one. Is there a way to hook my laptop to this unit? Maybe that will help

Old 03-10-13, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
There is a LAN connection on it but that appears to be for outgoing only.
No specific mention of connecting a computer to the unit.

Old 03-11-13, 12:52 PM
D
Vsx-53

OK started reading directions Remote solved (You have to push "receiver" button to activate those buttons.
Here is one problem not solved yet. Have two fronts hooked to appropriate places. Have center channel hooked up to appropriate place. Have 2 rear surrounds hooked to appropriate place. I have 1 sub hooked to the LEFT sub output (RCA jack) as per instructions. Also have a "trigger" going from "trigger 1" to sub. I can't get a peep from sub nor can I activate the trigger. The manual says that if you are using anything less than SET UP (A) which is 7.2 you must change it in the set-up. I am set at 5.2. I found where you program it in the set-up but it is "greyed out" also the trigger set up is "greyed out so it won't even go to neither of these
P.S. I am not front bi-amped but can if need be (speakers are capable) Also am only playing CDs and did turn sub on manually and I actually do get a green light. Also there is a sound test built into this thing which I found and did and everything was OK....even the sub boomed on queue

Old 03-11-13, 04:14 PM
D
VSX-53 Pt. II

OK read some more way back on page 69it tells me how to get to the settings it explains on page 20????? I had to set "Operation Mode" to EXPERT.Anyway I have the Sirius converter hooked up which was the easiest part and it immediately came on when I switched to Sirius if only the Welcome Page. I called and activated and voila! I have Sirius. Still have no sub but am giving up for today. I am almost there

Old 03-11-13, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
If that instruction manual were a road map......you'd be in a different state now

Are you using a 1/8" mono in the 12v trigger 1 or 2 port ?

On page 24 it talks about remote switching. It says that you must tell the trigger output what should turn it on. You will have to select every input when you want the Sub to come on.
Like tuner, Sirius, TV-1, etc.

Old 03-12-13, 12:36 PM
D
Vsx-53

1/8 mono from port 1. I kinda read over that last night about programming trigger (now that I can get to it without it being "greyed out") also there is a LFE setting I need to look at. Will keep ya posted

Old 03-13-13, 03:23 PM
D
More VSX-53 update

I got sub and also got trigger programmed to (I think) come on as soon as I hit power. Need to do some "tweaking" with speaker settings. Am also going to run 2'nd set of speaker wires to front speakers to bi-amp this weekend. Will also try to neaten up ball of spaghetti behind unit

Old 03-13-13, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Good to see you making headway there.

It can be a real job to clean up the wiring. Good luck !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: