Where to install an antenna, suggestions please.

Old 03-08-13, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where to install an antenna, suggestions please.

I just purchased this antenna

Amazon.com: Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM ClearStream 2-V Long Range UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor DTV Antenna with 20-Inch Mount: Electronics

Now wondering where to install it, in the attic, on the chimney, or on the fascia of the house. I am about 35 miles from the antennas, and on average we have about 40 mph winds during the year. What would be the best place to install the antenna. If the decision would be outside any suggestions on how to attach it to the house so that the antenna does not blow away?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-13, 08:54 PM
As my uncle used to say place the antenna as high as possible and not where the signal will be blocked. My uncle used to work as a contractor for a major department store and all he did all day long was put antennas up. Many of our antennas were put up by my uncle and looked like this one at this link Amazon.com: Winegard HD8200U Platinum HD VHF/UHF Antenna: Electronics. I still personally like this type of antenna better as it gets in more hard to reach stations.

Your antenna is fine if you already get fairly good reception inside with rabbit ears on the set but would not be too good of a choice for fringe areas. I would put this on the chimney and get as tall a mast as possible and then point it to where you are getting the best reception on all channels. You will need chimney hanger straps and at least a three foot mast pole so the antenna goes above the chimney. As long as the antenna is properly mounted to the mast you shouldn't have to worry about the wind. I wouldn't put too many televisions on the one antenna though and expect much unless you buy a signal booster. With one television you should be fine though.

Old 03-08-13, 11:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
Spot on hedgeclippers.

Years ago we used to put up several antennas a week. ChannelMaster was king of the hill.
Actually I just looked them up online and they are still available.

That's a pretty pricey antenna for 75.00. It definitely needs to be outside. I would also try it before permanently mounting it.

A site locating guide to use.
AntennaWeb - Home

Old 03-09-13, 04:41 AM
Great advice PJmax my uncle used to put up channel Master too and other brands too like Winegard. I also used Antennaweb to get advice on getting a new antenna and it was very helpful. One other bit of advice franchise stores are not always the best places to buy your supplies for your antenna. I personally would go to an independent store if at all possible. I bought my most recent antenna at an independent store not affiliated with any franchise and I was very satisfied with my purchase. The guy who sold me the antenna even helped me find an installer.

Old 03-09-13, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the information guys. It will be going on the chimney.
Where do I go about getting those straps.

Old 03-09-13, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
You can try a home improvement stores. Radio Shack probably has them.
Also available from Amazon.

I found them on Big Orange's website but not on Big Blue's.

Channel Master CM-9067

Attached Images