What Wires to run for Internet and HD TV

Old 03-21-13, 05:27 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What Wires to run for Internet and HD TV

Hello
I hope you can help me with something:
I am doing a total remodel on a foreclosed house. I am at the wiring stage were I'm putting my wire in for my lights and fans. What kind of HD TV and internet wires should I run? I will be in the country so I will be using some type of dish network.
Thanks

Old 03-21-13, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Dish signals are carried on RG6-quad shield cable.

You would need to run that coax to where the converter box will be. You can run the coax from several rooms to one point where a splitter can be installed. If you know where the dish will be mounted you can pre-run that wire also.

If you have neighbors with a dish system, see which way it's aimed and from that you can determine where it might be mounted on your house. If you had a particular system in mind you could call them and tell them you are pre-wiring and you need a site survey done for dish placement.

That wire can always be installed later but they will probably just staple it around the house or lay it in the gutter to get to the splitter location.

For internet you would run CAT-5e from every location to a central point where you would locate your modem and router.

When I pre-wire a house I run two CAT-5e cables to every location. One for internet and one for phone.

Run a network cable to the converter box and TV area also.

You will also need to decide if you're going to wall mount a TV and what you'll need for wiring there..... between the converter and TV

Old 03-21-13, 05:56 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 436 Upvotes on 388 Posts
I would pick a place in the house that will be your "network closet", whether it be in the basement, garage, or closet somewhere. Use this as the termination point for all the network/cable wiring. From here, run RG-6 coax to each place you may want a TV. Run Cat5e twisted pair wires to anywhere you may want a wired network (and to each TV location too since you may end up with a network box there too). Throw in a few extra Cat5e cables to telephone locations (even though you don't need Cat5e for telephones, you'll likely have some left over.

You'll also need to run 2 RG6 Coax drops to the roof to where the satellite dish will be going.

If you're into the whole home theater thing, now's a good time to run speaker wires too.

Old 03-21-13, 06:25 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No need to spend a ton of money on quad shield. Dont even need to spend money on solid copper core either. Dish Network and DirecTV installers both use standard CCS (copper-clad steel) RG6. You can get a 500' spool for $30 at home depot. As long as it is 3GHz tested, it'll work for satellite. Only reason to use quad shield is on runs over 150 feet.

In TX with Dish its a toss of the dice - what birds your locals are on and which package you get - which way the dish is aimed. If you need Eastern Arc, it'll point southeast, if you need Western Arc it'll point south-southwest. You may even need one in each direction (one of the many reasons I HATE Dish Network). However you are low enough latitude that either way they will point nearly straight up.. So unless you have trees right up against the house, you should have no issues with line of sight in either direction.

My suggestion is to run five coax from the wiring closet to the outside just to take future needs into account. Satellite can take up to four depending on the system, and you want a spare in case you want cable internet or something. At a nickel per foot it's much cheaper to go overkill now than fix drywall or go fishing later...

Last edited by JerseyMatt; 03-21-13 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 10:06 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Consider using Cat6 instead of Cat5e, for short runs Cat6 should be capable of running at 10G speeds, which will be good for the future, if you expect to be in the house 30+ years.

Old 04-07-13, 06:42 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The ethernet cable type (5e or 6) has no bearing on speed. It is the devices that are connected to the cables that determine speed. Both 5e and 6 are capable of gigabit performance. In the USA most new commercial installations are done with Cat 6.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: