Dark picture on my Sony KDS-60A2000 projection tv

Old 03-26-13, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dark picture on my Sony KDS-60A2000 projection tv

My 2006 Sony Grand WEGA SXRDT model KDS-60A2000 has a very dark picture. It doesn't have an Automatic Brightness Control. I've tried adjusting the color & cleaning the inside of the screen. We run this TV 24/7, we smoke in the same room as the TV & I've cleaned large amounts of dirt & dust out of the vent holes in it. There are no discolorations, just faded color...a lot of blackness. The color was perfect when I bought it back in 2007, gradually getting darker. I'm thinking that dirt & nicotine have accumulated on the red, blue & green light path filters. Could that be the cause of the darkness? Are there other parts I should clean in order to get the most brightness & color back as possible?
Please say anything except the optical block is bad.
I've been having to replace the lamp/bulb in it every 6 months. I just put a new bulb in it yesterday & turned the lamp fan on high. Hopefully raising the fan speed helps w/ my bulb replacement issue, but the lamp replacement doesn't correct the dark picture.
I'm also interested in finding out if there's a way to have this TV's screen replaced.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-13, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
All the smoke in the room all those years is being sucked in to cool the lamp. I would pull the lamp out and check it for discoloration.

Old 03-26-13, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
I haven't worked on one of these yet. I've been looking around at some technical postings on these units. There was mention of a class action suit in reference to defective optical blocks. Based on your description of smoking in the same room.....you may have dirt and nicotine on the optical block.

I can't offer you much help on how to visually inspect or clean that area. There are companies that do rebuild the optical blocks.

You may want to check in with a local Sony service place and get their take on the cleaning issue.

It looks like the screen is two parts. Based on online quotes you're looking in the 500.00 range for parts.
Sony - 267906111 DIFFUSION PLATE (60F)
Sony - 267906011 DIFFUSION PLATE (60L)