which cable for Air Antenna?

Old 03-31-13, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
which cable for Air Antenna?

I have a UHV/VHF antenna on the roof, we are watching Air TV, we are using a splitter to send the signal to 2 rooms which we can call TV A and TV B, I moved from one room with TV A to another room on the opposite side of the house and need to run a new wire to the splitter to replace TV A so I tried connecting a regular video wire to the splitter and strangest thing happened, the other TV [TV B] lost all signal and the new wired TV [TV C] has no signal also? I then connected back the wire from TV A to the splitter, the other end is not connected to any TV anymore and now it's working again.

I am wondering if the video cable I am using to run from the splitter to TV C may be the wrong wire somehow? The wire has coax connectors on both ends and is the same size as the Dish Network wires outside the house but I am wondering if this cable is a computer cable and if so, if that may be the problem? If so, which wire should I ask the folks at Radio shack for please?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-13, 04:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Does the cable have RG6 written on the side of it? It sounds as if one of the cables was made up improperly and a part of the grounding sheath is shorting against the signal lead. Did you buy these cables pre made or did you make them up yourself?

Old 04-01-13, 09:17 AM
Ye,s it reads RG6 on the outside, factory made cable.

Old 04-01-13, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
Even a dead shorted coax to TV C should still allow TV B to work.

It almost sounds like that's a powered splitter and it lost power.
Do you have a meter to see if the RG-6 coax is shorted ?

Old 04-01-13, 10:53 AM
I have this Multimeter here:

Amazon.com: Rolls Digital Multimeter - Rolls MU118: Everything Else

but don't know how to test for coax cables. I am thinking of going to Radio shack and purchase a new cable to swap and test?

Old 04-01-13, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
Decent little meter. Put it in Rx1 ohms position. When you touch the two leads together the meter should show a reading somewhere near 0. It may beep if you have the audible on.

Making sure the coax is not connected at either end.....touch one probe to the shield/nut and the other probe to the center wire......nothing should happen. If you see any reading at all......the coax is shorted. (You can use either color in either position)

Old 04-01-13, 11:19 AM
I just tried using the same cable from TV B on TV C, I am not getting a few stations but not the local 2-12 stations so I have no idea what's going on here?

Old 04-01-13, 08:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Are you using a converter box?

Old 04-01-13, 09:29 PM
I agree RG-6 I think though you could get it cheaper at the Home Depot or Lowes. If you are using too many splitters then you will have signal loss. It sounds like you have a good signal on some sets so you might need to help the other tv sets by adding in a pre-amplifier so that every set will work well. All of the wire needs to be properly connected to each of the connectors. If you buy wires with the connectors already on and you can fit it to wherever it needs to go then you don't need to to do any wiring yourself but you might find that isn't always possible.

Old 04-02-13, 06:34 AM
A loose connection on the input side will cause the symptoms you describe. Are you physically moving the splitter to connect TV C? Maybe bending or kinking the "Input" cable (from the antenna) in the process?

Old 04-02-13, 06:50 AM
I am not moving the splitter but too many weird stuff going on here guys so I am waiting for a friend of mine who works for Time Warner cable to drop by and help me out with this, I will let you guys know what the problem was.