bathroom stereo system

Old 04-05-13, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom stereo system

Hi, I havn't dabbled much in stereo equipment yet so I was wondering if anyone has any idea what I will need to do to set up a stereo system in a bathroom. I am not sure exactly everything I need for this. I'd like to preferrably be able to hook up to a stereo with a ipod dock. Anyone have a Idea what equipment im going to need.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-13, 04:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A bathroom stereo system. Hmmmm. Just how long does it take you in the bathroom? I doubt you would need anything elaborate. A shelf with an Ipod dockable receiver, two ceiling mounted speakers, and your set to boogie. By the time you turn it on an dock the Ipod, it will be over. Just amusing, but it can be done fairly simply. I would layer 6mil plastic between my speaker and its cover to prevent rising moisture from destroying the cone.

Old 04-05-13, 05:42 AM
You'll need an in-wall iPod docking station, an audio amplifier, and a pair of water resistant (or marine grade) speakers. I won't recommend specific parts since there are so many on the market. My guess is a total of about $450 plus installation.

Old 04-05-13, 08:00 AM
I agree that you need an amplifier and speakers. I doubt that you "need" marine grade, but if you want something that is better than a docking station with speakers
Amazon.com: Cyber Acoustics 30-Pin iPod Speaker Dock (CA-461): MP3 Players & Accessories
spend the extra to help ensure water prevention.

Without making suggestions, I present these as ideas of what you will need at a minimum
Amp.
Amazon.com: LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply: Electronics
Speakers
Amazon.com: Pyramid MDC5 100 Watts 4-Inch Waterproof Flush mount 2 Way Marine Speaker System: Electronics

I think that Rick Johnson's system would give you some incredible sound. But, incredible mp3 is pretty much the same as average mp3 to my ears; especially with the noise of a shower and probably fan running. Wouldn't be worth the extra cost to me.

Old 04-23-13, 09:35 AM
I was thinking about the same thing. Do they make a reciever that you can mount flush with the wall? I have looked but I'm not able to find anything.

Old 04-23-13, 10:18 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
To the OP,
How elaborate are you looking to go and are you only looking to dock an iPod?
You could go with a simple iPod docking station with built in speakers, provided it's not going to be touched while in the shower. Sit it on the vanity and you should be good to go.
If you are looking for in shower speakers, they make amplified speakers that are water resistant/waterproof. I can't remember any brands off the top of my head, but it was something I had looked into for my long solo kayak trips.

Old 04-23-13, 10:24 AM
I was thinking about the same thing. Do they make a reciever that you can mount flush with the wall? I have looked but I'm not able to find anything.
They do make flush mount receivers and anything else you may want (provided $$ isn't a factor).

I had actually looked into an intercom system for my house which had all sorts of options and features. It even had an intercom designed for pool side and bathrooms. This system included music piping to all or specific rooms among other things.

Old 04-23-13, 02:03 PM
I'm looking for something simple. I have a radio sitting on the vanity now that I have to put away when company comes over so it doesn't look clutered.

Old 04-24-13, 05:25 AM
I'm looking for something simple. I have a radio sitting on the vanity now that I have to put away when company comes over so it doesn't look clutered.
This is the simplest arrangement. To make it cleaner and more perminent, wall/ceiling mount outdoor (waterproof/resistant) speakers and an amp (wall mounted or even under the sink) would be the next step. It all comes down to how much effort/money you are willing to commit to this and how extensive you are looking to go with it.