Pioneer VSX-53 new problem

Old 04-10-13, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pioneer VSX-53 new problem

Hello I am back. Well all is hooked up and sounding good. Still tweaking but getting better at tweaking. Have another small problem which I am pretty sure is a bad tuner. I have a Sirius SC-H1 tuner mated to it that worked great for the last month. Starting yesterday it plays for 20 minutes and shuts down and the tuner shows "Accessing - Check Sirius Tuner". When it does this the Sirius indicator light turns off and then on to red (which is an initial start-up code) then off and on, etc. I honestly think this thing is OVERHEATING and cycling off then trying to turn on but it is still hot so it immediately cycles off, etc. I can turn everything off for 5 mins. or so and it will come back on. Company I got from is more than willing to send another one so that is what I am going to do.
Anybody had this happen?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-13, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 505 Votes on 475 Posts
I kept the manual on my desktop. I figured you'd stop back

I've seen that problem on other outboard satellite tuner systems. It turned out to be defective wall warts. (AC adapters). They will probably send you the whole kit. If not......make sure you get a new Ac adapter with it.

Old 04-11-13, 01:13 PM
More VSX-53 update

Ha Ha..Good figuring. As I am typing this I am listening and it just went into it's cycle. I was thinking power supply but I can't do anything to test. Apparently on some units the power is fed through the cord from the tuner but not here. As far as I know they are sending me the new kit (complete). Maybe I should just swap power cord only FIRST as an experiment. If I swap unit I am going to have to get a hold of SIRIUS to give a new ISN and discontinue old one. Not sure what that entails. Anyway PJmax other than this problem I have pretty much got it to where I can use it although I am sure there are more capabilities I haven't touched on yet. Thanks for the info. Will check back with update

Old 04-11-13, 09:43 PM
Group Moderator
There are capabilities you may never use. Half the fun is in the learning.

Good idea on trying the AC adapter first. Saves on some paperwork.

-Pete-

Old 04-12-13, 01:36 PM
Vsx-53

I just got home from work. I am here in Southern New Jersey and the weather was unseasonably hot last few days but cooled off today. Have been listening to it for 1/2 hour or so and you know the damn thing hasn't skipped a beat...yet???????

Old 04-19-13, 07:08 PM
PJMax any suggestions???

Got new unit and reactivated, Replaced all (unit, power cable, DIN cable, antenna) Is hot today. Went about 7 minutes and boom...gone??? Called PIONEER. all updates don't have anything to do with that!!Getting POd

Old 04-19-13, 10:27 PM
Group Moderator
Did the guys from Pioneer have any thoughts on the problem ?

I can't think of anything else to add.

Try contacting tech support at Pioneer again. Warranty and service issue.
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. - Customer Support

Old 04-20-13, 11:01 AM
Sirius

He asked about placement of unit. It is on a glass shelf.There is 5 inches or so above it and then another glass shelf with the cable box. He said they recommend a foot above the unit. This thing just isn't generating that much heat. However guess what..yesterday was quite warm and was also warm in here. As I am typing this the weather got a lot cooler and subsequently cooler in here and the damn thing has been playing flawlessly for 45 minutes now!!!WTF Also I have one of those weather stations that shows outside temp and inside temp (I love that thing) Yesterday showed 77 in here and now shows 69. 8 degrees...REALLY? Also if heat is the issue what unit is having the heat stroke? The receiver or the SC-H1 tuner. The Sirius has it's own AC adapter for power but does get turned on by the tuner (trigger) When I replaced the unit I replaced everything...unit.cable,adapter and antenna. Thought there might be a cable problem so I made sure it was in securely. All but hammered it in. Did notice that where you hold the DIN cable to plug in it is spring loaded but can't figure out why Thanks for the help. Will keep at it

Old 04-20-13, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know why they should be so heat sensitive. I have them stuffed in racks and have never had a problem.....except for the power supples (wall warts).... I've had those go intermittent.

Don't they tell you in the owners manual that Siruis requires an air conditioner for their receiver

Old 04-21-13, 07:12 AM
Did notice that where you hold the DIN cable to plug in it is spring loaded but can't figure out why
That is the worst arrangement I have ever seen. One supplier used them on a commercial-series product and had so many complaints he had to recall them.

Pull back on the spring-loaded sleeve, plug in the connector, and it's supposed to lock. All the spring really does is assist the plug in working its way out just enough to stop the device from working. I've cut the sleeve off with an Exacto, but that's tricky.

Have you reseated that connector every time it shuts off?

OTOH, if the tuner is that sensitive to heat, try a small muffin fan. If it stays on with the fan on it (doubtful) you've proven that the service guy was ad-libbing. I don't know of any electronic devices that require a foot of air space to cool, and if they did they wouldn't be going in any of my audio racks.

Old 04-21-13, 08:39 AM
Sirius

I had the thing in my hand messing with it and I can't see any difference in the depth it goes into either end (tuner or unit) with the spring pulled back or not pulled back. When I put it in to use I did pull back spring and release when I inserted it. Played for 3 hours yesterday and never skipped a beat It was cool out yesterday....whether it is a factor or a coincidence????? When it happens again I will scrutinize more closely Maybe will also try to see if DIN cable and AC adapter are available generically (non-Sirius) to try switching out.

Old 04-27-13, 12:28 PM
Sirius

Appears to be a problem with the receiver itself. Will post when I have more info

Old 04-27-13, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.......let me know. I certainly am curious.

Old 05-11-13, 09:28 AM
VSX-53 Update

I'm back. Pioneer unit was bad I called Pioneer and they gave me the closest service center. I called and whoever I talked to has actually heard of it before but suggested since it was very new to call where I got it and see how they wanted to handle it. I did and they told me to bring it in and they will handle it. I took it in with my contact info. A few days later their tech called and said he checked over everything and didn't see anything wrong He said he didn't have a Sirius hookup to test. I said unfortunately THAT is what is wrong. He authorized a replacement. Anyway I got the new unit and have been playing the sh%t out of it and it hasn't skipped a beat!! (I hope I didn't just jinx myself) Also didn't mention before that on the original receiver I had entered some presets into memory and some of them randomly disappeared on two separate occasions which indicates a problem

Old 05-12-13, 12:54 AM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing Best Buy

Glad the exchange was authorized.
Pre-set memory loss is a logic issue..... and yes the two problems could have been related.

Old 05-12-13, 05:46 AM
Make sure you keep everything at least 8 inches away from it so it gets proper cooling.

(Above = sarcastic. It drives me nuts when tech support ad libs.)

Old 05-12-13, 08:08 AM
VSX-53 Update

BB is correct. Never had a problem there. I don't think cooling is a problem . I don't quite have 8 inches above but I do have 4 or so. It is on a glass open shelved tv stand so the sides and back are completely open. The unit doesn't get "driven" to nearly it's full power. I did feel around after it had been playing for several hours and there just isn't any heat to speak of
Thanks all....if any issues pop up I will update you

Old 09-08-13, 10:50 PM
Powers on; no sound for 10 mins; then perfect sound after that.

I too have a problem with an old Pioneer VSX-53. It powers on just fine, but the sound doesn't come out for 10-15 minutes. It will 'burp' a little sound first; cut off; then seconds later it will produce sound until you turn it off.
When it was working as it should, it would take about 5 seconds to get sound after powering it on. I'd hear a 'click' and then the sound. It doesn't seem that I'm hearing that click before the sound begins now (10 mins later).
Any ideas what the cause might be? I only use it for a secondary listening method for the TV (TV audio out to TV in on the Pioneer); I can't stand the sound of those 5W Samsung speakers firing downward.
Thanks in advance.