Purchased converter, audio quality issues.

Old 04-17-13, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Purchased converter, audio quality issues.

Separated from: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/en...audio-rca.html

Hopefully someone can offer some advice...I ordered an Optical to RCA converter and an optical audio cable from Monoprice (as recommended by JerseyMatt below).

I am running Optical Audio out of my Xbox 360 into the converter and then running the RCAs out into my Logitech Wireless Headset receiver.

I am now getting nothing but unintelligible fluttering coming from my headset speakers. Is this a bad optical cable? A bad converter box?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ray2047; 04-17-13 at 11:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-13, 04:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I know nothing about XBoxes, so forgive an old man. Do you need to run the audio from the XBOx to the TV first? Does the XBox have its own amplifier? If not you may need to use the one on the TV. Connect the XBox to the TV, then the TV to the converter??

Old 04-17-13, 09:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
Old man number two here
I don't have an Xbox. I'm a deprived adult

In looking around at the xbox support site....I found the following page.
You may have to configure the output.
Connect And Configure Digital Audio On Xbox 360

It would appear that there are cables you can get for your xbox that go from it's output right to RCA.

Old 04-18-13, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Configuration Update

Thank you for the replies!

Here is the issue:

* My headset works if I plug in the Xbox AV cable next to the HDMI output and run the RCAs directly to my Logitech Headset Receiver. However there is a problem with the Xbox 360 where if you are using the HDMI output (to TV) and the Standard A/V output (to headset receiver), it has a tendency to lose the secure channel of the HDMI connection and it restarts itself. This is very frustrating as I have multiple times lost two+ hours of gameplay that wasn't saved.

* My prior headset had a direct optical audio input so I ran a TOSlink cable from the optical out on the 360 to the optical in on the headset receiver, worked beautifully. I add this to demonstrate that the optical audio out on the 360 works great with the HDMI setup to the TV.

* My TV does not have an audio out. Bollocks, I know... (I am going to take my TV off of the wall today to confirm this as I can't seem to find the manual)

* My gut feeling is this is an issue with either the Optical Audio cable I am using or the optical to RCA converter is bad. I have tried searching for issues with fluttering audio on TOSlink connections, but I wasn't able to zero in on a specific cause other than bad cable. I realize this is a far from ideal setup as there are too many potential points of failure, so if anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears!

Thank you.

Last edited by Koert Spears; 04-18-13 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Grammar