Panasonic 31

Old 02-08-01, 07:59 PM
tamtinyus
Visiting Guest
My Panasonic 31" TV (Model no. CT-31620T) had broken (picture remained on screen after turned off)
and a repair shop fixed it two years ago which costed me $230. According to the repair report, a component called
STK Switcher IC ($44.50 according to the shop) was replaced.

Recently I had another problem (no picture and no sound after turned on). Would it be the same component causing the trouble?

I want to fix it myself this time (I have the manual of the TV). Please give me some advice. Also where can I buy the part. Thanks in advance for your suggestion.

Old 02-09-01, 06:05 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
By no picture and no sound, you mean dead to the world, no raster (any kind of light or brightness inthe picture tube even if no actual picture), sound nothing ,not even hiss or static ??? Does any kind of power indicator light come on ??

Old 02-14-01, 05:52 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Evening, tamtimyus:

The STK tells me that this is a system designed by SONY and is known as "Systems Take Kick". It's a "boot strap" power supply and it has a common failure problem.
When the power supply energizes, it informs itself that it is running through an amplifier circuit. If it convinces itself that it is running, it will continue to provide power. The system has a notorious failure of two 1-megohm, one half watt resistors that burn out. The fix is to replace these two resistors with a pair of 1-watt 1 meghohm resistors.
If the initial fix replaced these resistors with 1/2 watt replacements (without reading the replacement guidelines) it is possible that the situation replaced itself. In short, the customer has been had again.

What happens is the set turns on and develops the necessary voltages. But, the boot strap circuit doesn't see the turn on and offers nothing to the final circuit. If the final doesn't turn on, the set turns itself off. And, that, dkerr, is elementary electronics.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: