Dead DirectTV DVR receiver

Old 06-11-13, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dead DirectTV DVR receiver

My DirecTV HD DVR receiver died on me yesterday. It just shut itself off and even after consulting with customer service, nothing would bring it back to life. DirecTV is shipping a replacement.

Unfortunately, I have a slew of recorded TV shows on it that I haven't yet watched, including the House series finale and most of the current season of L&O SVU. Is there any way I can retrieve the recordings? I'm thinking they're on some type of hard drive which can be removed and connected elsewhere, something I did once with a dead laptop hard drive. The box is DirecTV branded, model HR23-700, manufacture date 9/09.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-13, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What not ask Direct TV this question?
Did you check to make sure there's incoming power to the box?

Old 06-11-13, 08:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No, unfortunately there is no way to retrieve recorded shows. Even if you were to open the box up and take the hard drive out (which would break the warranty seal and Directv would charge you $400 for that), the hard drive is encrypted and can not be read by a computer.

Not only that, but the hard drives are ID locked (aka "married") to the unit in which they are installed, and only that unit can read and decrypt the data. To move a hard drive from one unit to another would trigger the DVR to format the drive with a new set of encryption keys (aka "divorce and remarry"). No, they can not have "affairs" with other boxes - even as external drives... Unfortunately those are requirements that were imposed on Directv from the movie and TV industries, allegedly to reduce piracy.