SIRIUS SCH1 problem again!

Old 06-13-13, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
SIRIUS SCH1 problem again!

Hey... back again. Everything flawless for 2 months. Came home from work and unit won't power up at all. Checked "wall wart" power supply with volt meter and am showing 5 volts (normal) Does anyone know if the 8 pin DIN cable uses all the pins?...I did a continuity test and 2 of the pins do not connect to the other end! I have been doing some checking on this cable and it seems proprietary so it is possible the thing could be built that way for some stupid reason.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-13, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
I didn't expect to see you back so soon.

You're on your second Siruis unit and second Pioneer receiver as well

It is very likely that all 8 pins of that cable aren't used. You may have a spare cable from your first unit that you could check or swap.

Old 06-14-13, 08:35 AM
Sch1

Yea I didn't expect/want to be back so soon I must have the reverse midas touch! Why wouldn't they build just a proprietary 6 pin? Should be just like phone system...it has four wires in line but only two have to be hooked up but they are there and CAN be hooked up. Anyway talked to supplier about a cable and they are sending me a whole new unit to try. (The unit doesn't cost that much anyway - it's the subscription which could cause some worry if SIRIUS isn't cooperative) Apparently I am not the only person been having a problem. Will let you know
P.S. in referring to another of my posts I "convinced" the cable company to cooperate and don't need to watch TV over the air just yet

Old 06-15-13, 12:28 PM
Sch1

Many thanks to the supplier of the unit and SIRIUS for their cooperation. It was the SIRIUS unit itself Not sure what happened but I tried the cable first then the power supply to no avail. Plugged in the new unit with the old cable and power supply and on it went. Wasn't activated at the time but it went on. Is active and playing now. Also did switch to new cable and plug to be sure. P.S. the 5 v power supply is "hot" all the time but unit is not on because the Pioneer unit triggers it on. Everything is plugged into a "Monster Power" surge protector behind the TV. Should I maybe find a way to have the 5 v not hot all the time. I would think it would be designed to be hot all the time

Old 06-15-13, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
That 5v power supply is a switching type power supply. It uses very little power when the Siruis is not active so leaving it powered all the time is ok.