Moving Cable Drop

Old 06-14-13, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Moving Cable Drop

I want to change where the cable comes into to house but I'm not sure if I am allowed to do that or not. Currently the line comes a long way across my driveway, attaches to the house, goes down the outside wall, then underground all the way to the other side of the house and through a hole drilled in the brick to the inside. Instead of going diagonally from the pole to the house I'd rather it go straight down on my property line to a second pole right next to my house then directly in through the vent in my garage to connect to existing lines to my basement where the modem (this is Internet only) will be. All my other lines use this second pole, but the cable installer told me he couldn't do that because it would have to come over the garage.

There are a few reasons for this. I'd rather not have a line going so far across my driveway, if it comes to the second pole then it goes straight across and hangs alot higher. I'd also rather not have the line buried where something could happen if I don't have to. I've also run all my ethernet wiring to my basement and I'd rather the cable line go directly there through the line that is already installed from the garage.

Is this allowed? If going to the second pole is not allowed, am I at least allowed to pull it up out of the ground and run it to my garage like I want?

I hope that I am explaining this clearly, but if not I can try to explain more or even draw a diagram. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-13, 10:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As a rule, the drop does not belong to you. It is cable company property, and you are not allowed to move or modify it yourself. Your cable begins at the ground block.

As for the location, they will not run a drop over a roofline to get to a different mounting point. If the garage footprint is in the way of where you want the cable to go from the second pole, they will have to mount it to the garage instead (unless I'm understanding wrong).

A diagram would be helpful if you want to post one.

Old 06-14-13, 11:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 410 Votes on 385 Posts
I agree with Matt. A diagram or picture would be really helpful.

Old 06-17-13, 09:50 AM
Thanks so much for your responses. I've attached a diagram. So, when you say that my cable begins at the ground block, is it possible I don't have one? I know that when it comes inside the house it goes directly to the cable modem in that room, no splitter or anything. Could the ground block be where the cable attaches to the house, before going down the wall and underground?

Attached Images  
Old 06-17-13, 10:43 AM
Yeah there is no way they will run it over the garage roof like that. If it can be attached to the side of the garage and then run into the house from the garage in some way, then that should be a viable option. If their main distribution cable already runs between those two poles it *might* be possible for them to hang the drop from the messenger wire between the poles that supports their main cable, but that will vary based on company policies.

The ground block will be outside - it should be where the cable comes down the side of the house, BEFORE it goes underground. If there is no block, then it's wrong.

And another note - the ground block must be at 'working' level. That is it must be accessible to a worker standing on the ground. They must not require a ladder or bucket to access it. So keep that in mind if you are still planning to run it through an attic vent. It will need to come from the pole to the side of the house, down to the block, then back up to the vent.

Old 06-18-13, 08:22 AM
I looked a little bit at where the line comes down from where it attaches on the roof and found that it actually goes into a box about 4 feet off the ground. The box isn't locked, but has a zip tie where a lock could go, so I have a feeling I can't mess with it. I didn't see the ground block anywhere so I am guessing it is in there. From there it goes down the wall in a PVC pipe and into the ground to go around the house to the entry point.

If everything past the ground block is mine, could I assume that the ground block is in there, pull all the wire out of the ground and run it back up to the garage where I want it to enter? The ideal solution wouldn't be to run down and back up, and it doesn't change that I have the line hanging over my driveway, but I'd get the entry point where I want it at least.

I know this probably varies by company and region, but is there any chance that I could call my cable company and explain this to them and they would be willing to move it for me? Any chance this wouldn't be a charge? I'd hate to pay for something I could do myself in a few minutes.

Old 06-18-13, 03:55 PM
Yes the ground block is in that little box. And yes, you can open it. Even if it had a lock or tamper seal on it, you would be allowed to cut that lock off because the cable company is not allowed to lock you out of what is called the demarcation line (the ground block serves as the junction between the cable company's wiring and the premises wiring, also known as the demarcation junction).

Yes, you can do whatever you wish with premises wiring. You can pull it up out of the ground and run it anywhere and any way you want to.

If you want it to go into the attic vent, you must have it going down to the ground block and then back up. There is no way around that.

The cable company in all practicality will run premises cable for you how ever you want, but they will charge you prevailing labor rates (in most areas $80-120 per hour) to do it. Their responsibility for providing free parts and labor ends at the demarcation line (with the exception of leased cable boxes). It would be a lot cheaper to run it yourself.

I would also suggest that you go buy yourself a spool of fresh new cable rather than reuse cable of questionable integrity that has been sitting underground (unless the cable jacket is bright orange, it is probably not rated for underground use). You can get a 500' spool of black or white RG-6 for $35 at Home Depot.