Articulating 24 inch monitor keyboard + mouse mount

Old 06-15-13, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Articulating 24 inch monitor keyboard + mouse mount

Hey guys first time posting to this site after using it for a long time.
So I have a 1 floor house + basement and my computer is down stairs, Thing is i can barley go down there to spend time on my gaming PC so I want to bring it up stairs. I have no room to install a desk is my problem. I want to build an Articulating wall mount that can hold the monitor, keyboard and the mouse beside my theater chair. I want to use steel as it is cheap, Probably square channel. What i need to know is what type to buy and what I can use as pivot joints. Also would like knobs I can tighten down with my hand to keep the arms in place, Maybe even install a few springs on the arms to keep it from accidentally falling...

Pretty much need detailed explanations on the bolts, knobs, springs, channel, Keyboard and mouse trays. I dont need a tray for the monitor as i can mount a plate on it easy. The mount would need to articulate about 4 feet from the wall and swing over. Hows this all sound?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-13, 06:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds interesting. Whatever you end up doing I'd sure like to see it..

My first thought is to take a cue from common swing-arm desk lamps...

and articulating TV mounts...

Depending if you want it to simply come out at a fixed level from the wall or if you need height adjustment as well, you would use a combination of the two designs. The horizontal swing arm would come out from the wall because the terminal at the end will be heavy and require structural strength, and then you'd have the vertical swing arm at the end of it to bring the terminal up and down. Springs will definitely help counterbalance and smooth out the vertical movement.

The joints should be sandwiched with thick nylon washers to provide enough friction to keep the arm in position without having to overly tighten the bolts, yet allow you to move it freely without having to manually loosen/tighten knobs.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-16-13, 06:57 AM
Received 28 Votes on 23 Posts
Why not grab an extension light, modify that?

FWIW, I do know of one DIY friendly design - a hinged truss

(one of) my collection of retro lamps.

Sorry it's a bit blurry, but note that the trusses are alternating single - double layout.,
in other words, each X junction is a single beam moving inside a double beam.
The cross pieces that go from bottom left to top right are doubles,
the cross pieces that go from bottom right to top left are singles.

Note the wiring that runs up along the right side of the accordion truss goes through the central rivets- so the cord length doesn't change as the truss opens or closes-
a rather ingenious no-snag, no-kink wiring design.

Oh, individual "beams" are about 8", total extension is about 5'.

Last edited by Hal_S; 06-16-13 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-16-13, 07:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's also a very flimsy design that will not hold up to the weight the OP intends to hang on it - especially at the length he intends to make it.

Old 06-17-13, 07:52 PM
Yes those two combined is kinda my idea, its just making it happen. Maybe i should go to The Home Depot and look to see what they have as far as materials that i can build it out of. The slim style base for the TV mount is exactly what i want as i dont have too much room. Almost should make this thing out of U-Joints.. lol

Old 06-18-13, 04:58 AM
Received 28 Votes on 23 Posts
Eh, quick test, at full extension is not flimsy at all and actually is steady enough to type on.

Did notice that the side to side action with a mouse needs a bit of resistance,
so you'll probably want to use an optical mouse, rather than a ball mouse.

Old 06-18-13, 07:30 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I use a trackball and a keyboard Velcroed to a piece of quarter inch hardboard in my lap for all my computer use. Trackball means no surface need to run a mouse.