car stereo

Old 02-13-01, 07:38 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a tape stuck in my car stereo.
It will not allow me to hear the radio or play,rewind,fastforward or eject the tape.

Help!!!

Old 02-14-01, 10:26 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Afternoon, vonhenke:

No bout adout it, the unit will have to be removed from the dash, the top will have to be removed, and the tape will have to be manually removed from the mechanism.

What usually happens is that the tape had some slack in it and broke when the sudden snap of the take-up reel hit it. The tape then winds itself into the mechanism. The other scenario is that the tape deck had not been cleaned in an eon of so. In this instance, the pinch roller accumulates enough oxide that it becomes "sticky". Hench, the roller will grab the tape out of the cassette and wind it into the mechanism.

Good luck.

Smokey

Old 02-15-01, 04:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Car Stereo

Hi Smokey!

Thanks for replying to my dilema. However,impatient person that I am, I went for it myself and ended up with a destroyed tape. You were right when you said the tape would be wound around the mechanism. It sure was. My car is a 90 Olds Cutlass Calais and I've only had it a couple of years but I have never cleaned the tape player. I didn't take it apart but I got the radio to work anyway. I can't tell you what a relief it is NOT to hear that clicking noise anymore.

Great site! Thanks again for the advice.

VH

Old 02-15-01, 05:26 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

You are my hero/heroine, kiki, for admiting neglect on the unit that is causing the problem. This helps others who are also guilty of the same act of neglect.

We love having you at doityourself.com. Come back anytime and enjoy our usual patter about self incrimination. LOL

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: