Wall mount a 42" TV in a mobile home?

Old 08-20-13, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall mount a 42" TV in a mobile home?

I have a mobile home and from what I can tell, the walls are not constructed with 2x4 studs.

I wanted to wall mount my 42" Vizio LCD TV but I'm wondering if wall will support it.

Any advice?

TIA!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-13, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 224 Votes on 206 Posts
I think much depends on your mobile home and if you want to mount on an exterior or interior wall. I'd say the exterior wall has a better chance of being sturdy and if you are using a flat or low profile mount there will not be much strain on the wall. You may have to use more screws and a shorter length than specified in the mount's instructions as your wall studs are likely not as deep as a 2x4 and you don't want screws pocking out the other side. I would not try mounting an articulating mount that has an arm which holds the TV away from the wall as they require better support.

Old 08-20-13, 12:09 PM
by mobile home if you mean like a rv or motorhome i cant help ya butif you mean a trailor i used to live in one and the walls are studded i would recomend getting a stud finder from lowes or home depot (dont buy the cheapest or most expensive find one in middle price range) try to find a stud then use a very small screwdrive ror a 1/8 drill bit and insert it into the wall to make sure it is a stud sometimes those thing lie! and if your wall mount wont line up to them you may have to drill your own holes and the more support the better

Old 08-20-13, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
Is this a single wide or double wide? Most MHs have 2x4 exterior walls, the common interior wall on a double wide is two 2x3s [they call it a 2x6] The rest of the interior walls can vary greatly; 2x2s, 1x4s and occasionally 1x2s.

Old 08-20-13, 03:38 PM
It's a single wide (14 x70).

I'll return the mount I bought (full motion) and buy a low profile mount.

Thanks all!