Home theater subwoofer/amplifier wiring help

Old 08-20-13, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Home theater subwoofer/amplifier wiring help

I have a WahlDorf Home Theater System WD-305HT 5.1 Multi-Channel with a Harman Kardon AVR 700 5.1 Channel Audio / Video Receiver ... my receiver has a coax plug for the subwoofer and my subwoofer just has those spring connectors you put the stranded wire through. I'm not sure how to go about hooking it up? Should I just wire it as a 5 channel and hook my L & R speaker outs to the sub then out to my speakers off the sub?

Will it be the same as hooking it up to the sub port??

Anything will help I'm very new to this thanks!!

Last edited by PJmax; 08-20-13 at 04:38 PM. Reason: reformatted text
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-13, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I reformatted your text as it was broken and hard to read.

I went to Wahldorf's site as I wasn't familiar with those speakers. It appears that they are all passive speakers. That means they need to be connected to an amplifier(s).

The sub woofer requires a lot of power and a larger amplifier that is not usually included inside the A/V sound receiver. In your case you have an RCA output on your A/V processor for the sub woofer that would be need to be connected to a separate amplifier.

You'll need to pick up a small single channel sub woofer amplifier to run your sub.

Old 08-21-13, 08:08 AM
ya thanks i tried to Get it neat.....as you couldnt tell.. lol thanks for your response i was thinking of that but i have direct tv and im hoping im not going to have to use a blue ray player to run my speakers.

the wiring for my speakers for a 5 channel amp is and i qouat from the manual to wire subwoofer..
R + / - to subwoofer input right
L +/- to subwoofer input left

then the subwoofer must be passive also.. it reads

Subwoofer output Rright + / - to Right speaker + / -
Subwoofer output Left + / - to Left speaker + / -

my question is my amp is 75 w a channel my speakers can handle 60 w rms, 120 w peak and there is 5 of them so if i would wire the subwoofer passive as i described above would it split the wattage in that channel with the sub and 2 speakers and make it sound weak ?

Old 08-21-13, 08:22 AM
I Googled for an image of your HK receiver and see that it's a 5.1 processor but only has amp channels for 5 speakers: LF, RF, LR, RR and center. The Sub out is line level and intended to go to a single amplified subwoofer. You can't attach the sub speaker terminals to any of the other amp outputs--too much load and you won't have the channel summing and frequency filtering needed for a sub. For a correct 5.1 system (sub is the ".1") you will need to buy a powered sub or a mono amp to use with the one that came with your current set.

Which way to go depends on the performance of the sub you have (and whether it's worth the cost of another amp) and the adjustments possible to the Sub Output channel in your receiver.

Old 08-21-13, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
Gotcha. I couldn't find any connection wiring on their site.

So with that sub you can connect to the left and right main speaker outputs on the A/V receiver and then connect the speakers directly to the subwoofer.

That's a power hungry way of connecting the speakers but you can certainly try it to see if it's enough power for your application. You can always use it that way for now and get a separate subwoofer amp later.

Old 08-21-13, 08:45 AM
thanks pj , and guy. i used to do a lot of vehicle audio.. and from what i remember from it, its not to different in home... the only other way i can think of getting around another amp is to wire each subwoofer on its own channel and possibly bridge the 5 speakers or only use 4 on 3 channels (since they can only handle 60w rms max ) im not sure if it would work i would hate to fry a $300 amp for foolishness but im going to have a wiring nightmare trying to hook up two amps to the same audio on my tv not to mention the $100 for a decent 1 channel amp

Old 08-21-13, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
You should have enough power to run the surround speakers from the A/V receiver.
A single sub amp is really what you need.

Old 08-21-13, 10:27 AM
After re-reading your connection post it sounds like you have a set of speakers where the sub has passive crossovers built in and the front channel L&R speakers connect to the sub. During system setup I think you would choose "large speakers with no sub" (assuming the receiver is configured by menus) and the receiver would send the full range signal to the front speakers instead of filtering out the low frequencies and sending them to the Sub Out.

Old 08-21-13, 10:46 AM
Uh oh. When I first read this topic I thought the OP mistook the name for Wharfedale speakers...but no. Going to the website there is a surprising lack of information on a MSRP $2000 speaker system and an obvious mistake in the frequency response of "60kHz-20kHz" is repeated on the product page AND on the pdf brochure, plus other glaring mistakes. Further Googling seems to indicate these are one of the many "White Van Scams". I had no idea this was still a problem after first hearing of it almost 20 years ago. I shouldn't be surprised.

So I just got taken by the "Wahldorf Home Theater" scam. - Beginners, General Questions & HTiB (Home Theater in a Box) - Home Theater Forum

Bottom line is if these are in fact "White Van" speakers I hope the OP got them cheap.

Old 08-21-13, 12:19 PM
the diagram is for a 5 channel amplifier.. and the subs are passive so whatever you said ( like i said im new to this) sounds right. im going to try hooking them up the way the 5 channel says to.. and i bought these used from a home audio place in town so if there the white van scheme ill be taking them back