Pioneer receiver/ Technics speakers, no sound?

Old 08-20-13, 09:03 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pioneer receiver/ Technics speakers, no sound?

This is my first post so bear with me

I've got a pair of Technics SB-L55 speakers hooked up to a Pioneer VSX-2000 Audio/Video Stereo Receiver, which is then hooked up through the CD input (the Phono input for some reason produces horrendous sound quality) to my laptop with a 3.5 mm AUX to RCA cable. I used this setup last week to play music at a party through my laptop, and it worked fine. I recently moved into college, however, and I took the setup along with me. I plugged everything in the same way as before, and I turned on the stereo, which appears to be working fine (display is working, as are the AC outlets in the back). Now, the speakers are producing no sound whatsoever. This is a pretty aged system but it worked beautifully a week ago and now... nothing. Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-13, 02:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I know it sounds elementary, but is your computer on MUTE?

Old 08-21-13, 04:18 AM
R
Does it work when set to FM or AM radio? Is the Tape In button pressed (if there is one)?

Old 08-21-13, 10:26 AM
E
There are two buttons labeled "SPEAKERS", one for the "A" speaker and one for the "B" speaker. They are both pressed in, which they say is the on position. And I thought my computer may have just been muted, but sadly, it isn't and is producing sound just fine o.0.

Old 08-21-13, 10:53 AM
E
I also tried it in the Phono and Tape inputs, and still nothing.

Old 08-21-13, 11:05 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I don't know about your particular receiver but some can only have one set of speakers playing at a time. So try pushing A OR B but not both

Old 08-21-13, 11:46 AM
E
Would there be any way to isolate the problem to either the stereo or the speakers?

Old 08-21-13, 11:50 AM
E
I just tried it with only the "A" speakers turned on, then I switched them in the back to "B" and tried it with only that turned on. Still nothing.

Old 08-21-13, 05:24 PM
The only way to isolate which one is to blame is to try the receiver with another set of speakers and to try the speakers with another amp/receiver

Old 08-21-13, 05:51 PM
E
"And then God said... LET THERE BE SOUND!!"

So out of no where they JUST started working! Currently blasting Huey Lewis and the News and couldn't be happier! But is there anything I can do so it doesn't happen again? I didn't change anything so I don't get why they're all of a sudden working...

Old 08-21-13, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 605 Votes on 570 Posts
Make sure none of the strands of the speaker wire are touching each other or the receiver.

Old 08-21-13, 09:45 PM
E
What do you mean by the receiver (sorry!)? also, I've always been told to twist the strands of the wire together so as to make a better connection... that could be the whole problem! Should I stop doing that? Also the left speaker is kind of flaky but again that just might be what you said...

Old 08-21-13, 10:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 605 Votes on 570 Posts
Yes..... you should twist the wires together before connecting them.

You don't want frayed ends that could possibly short out to something. If you have wires that are touching ...... your receiver would stay in protection (muted) mode and you would get no sound. .

Old 08-22-13, 10:45 AM
The tape monitor was probably on

Old 09-08-13, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If this problem happens again, try plugging some headphones into the receiver's headphone jack to see if you get sound through the headphones. Also, the "phono" input is designed for magnetic phono cartridges, which have an output measured in mere millivolts. The output from a CD/DVD player or computer headphone jack are as high as 1 volt. The receiver has additional preamplification circuitry for the phono input, and when you feed a higher voltage input such as a CD player or computer headphone jack into the phono input, the excessively high input signal strength overdrives the amplification circuitry and causes distortion.