issues with setting up my entertainment system

Old 09-06-13, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
issues with setting up my entertainment system

I have looked all over for an answer and cannot find one. I recently purchased a 55" led tv and hooked up all the components (a dvr from my satellite provider, a 5.1 surround sound and a playstation 3.) I originally purchased a surge protector to house all these electronic devices with a rating of 2250 joules. Once everything was hooked up and powered on certain devices will power off. Mainly the surround sound when watching tv and the surround sound and the playstation when playing a game. So I returned the surge protector thinking it may be faulty and got another one. same issue. So I decided to get a stronger rated surge protector. I got a 3150 joule rated one and hooked it up. I am still having the same issue. So I tried a completely different outlet just to rule that out. I even tried dividing up whats hooked into this surge protector to make sure I wasn't some how over loading it. Surround sound is plugged into a different outlet and the tv, dvr, and ps3 are in the surge protector. Ps3 will still power down. none of the devices when plugged in individually will power down, only when they are together. What am I missing? I can't understand what is going on and I can't find anyone experiencing this issue. I thought I had a sufficient power supply for 4 devices. Please can any one help me understand what may be going on?? Thank you so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-13, 12:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I can't understand why you suspect the surge protector. Does it have a breaker that trips due to overload? If the house breaker isn't tripping then it also can't be you have to much on the circuit. Most electronic equipment comes with a so called energy saver that shuts the device off after a couple of hours. It is on by default when shipped. The first thing I always do with new equipment is turn that feature off. Have you done that?

Old 09-06-13, 01:10 PM
Yes I have checked those features. it's not that I suspect the surge protector (seeing as being on the 3rd one it is unlikely that is the issue.) per say. I have ultimately assumed it's the circuitry. As far as the energy saver features new devices have, I doubt it is that with the exception of the tv. The surround sound and ps3 have been in use for a while prior to the new tv being installed and they have never experienced issues until now. Ultimately it has to be with the circuitry somewhere but I am pretty confident that with the exceptions of the items mentioned nothing else is wired to this area, so why would it be over loading? It's not like I'm running anything extreme to these areas? And no the breaker is not tripping where I have to go to the panel and reset it.

Old 09-06-13, 01:30 PM
Is it possible the remote for the new TV has a mind of it's own and is transmitting renegade IR signals that are shutting off the other devices?

Old 09-06-13, 01:54 PM
How would I check to see if that were the case?

Old 09-06-13, 02:03 PM
Put it in a drawer. It works by infrared light beam not radio wave.

Old 09-06-13, 03:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
This is the second time you have posted a duplicate post here. I deleted the last one. I am locking this one. If you want your post in Electrical moved PM a mod.

Old 09-07-13, 06:09 AM
Plug all of the devices into the surge protector but do not connect them to each other. Leave everything powered on and connect the devices one at a time to the TV. Using process of elimination by connecting one at a time (in different order each time, if necessary) you'll eventually figure out which device is causing the issue. Post back when you find the culprit.