T V service providers

Old 09-20-13, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
T V service providers

I don't know if this is the right thread,if not maybe some one can direct me
to the proper one.

I'm looking for unbiased opinions on Verizon,and Xfinity(Comcast?) services.

I have both of them in my area trying to get me to subscribe to them.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-13, 05:46 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I have both available as well. Comcast sucks but then so does the FiOS. FiOS DOES have a larger line-up, at least in my area, but they nickel and dime you to death with all the accessories needed.

Theoretically the FiOS will have a better picture simply because the bandwidth on fiber is better than on coax but in reality I sincerely doubt that anyone could tell the difference.

I do need to advise you that I am not a big TV watcher. I subscribe to the lowest tier of service Comcast offers. I rarely watch any kind of sports on television. I find most of the so-called "educational" channels such as History and TLC to be rife with inaccuracies. The daytime "talk" shows, the "judge" shows, the "who's sleeping with who" shows and the like simply turn my stomach. Shopping channels, religious programming and infomercials should all be banned in my opinion. To be honest, the only reason why I have cable at all is that without it my reception is so bad as to be unwatchable and I DO watch a few hours a week.

Old 09-20-13, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Right forum....ehhhh. Everyone will find it.

I assume your are talking about Verizon FiOS ?

I originally had FiOS here and three years ago switched back to Optimum due to the extreme taxes on the FiOS service. For the first year and a half it was ok. No complaints. Actually the internet would get slow at peak use times (8PM-10PM). During the last six months of the two year cable contract my HD cable box spent more time re-booting then I spent watching it. I was plotting on dumping the service.

Verizon came to the house one month before the contract with cable expired and gave me an excellent two year package as well as a 300.00 Visa gift card. Don't ask me how they do it. Since they now offer digital voice service (proprietary internet phone service) the landline taxes have been reduced considerably.

You know what they say about opinions.....they're like belly buttons because everyone has one BUT

Verizon FiOS in my area ROCKS. As long as they don't get crazy with the price increases.... I won't drop them. My cable system is overloaded and they don't seem to be making any upgrades. The guy that came to re-activate the FiOs service lives in an Optimum cable only area and is steaming at them over their service quality. They told him he had poor in house wiring

Now.... you are in Ma. Things could be 100% different there. Ask your friends and neighbors.

Here is another thing that cinched the deal for me. With the cable company you need to subscribe to a paid channel... like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc. That's no secret and you'd have to pay for them with any service BUT you had to pay an additional 4.95 a month (per channel) for on-demand of that channel. 4.95 PER channel extra !! With FiOS.... if you subscribe to the channel...... on demand of that channel is included.

I do not work for Verizon and I have no vested interest in their service but here....where I live....it's awesome.

Old 09-20-13, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
I have cable... Cable-vision... No fios in my area. I hear fios plagued with issues from what I read. Connection issues mostly and that big panel that goes in the home often get blasted from lightning.

Again only what I read.

My cable is 14 bucks a month for 21 channels. I get the main 2-13 and some other channels. I refuse to pay for tv service unless I need to. My friends have that triple play and pay upwards of $160 a month.

I am cheap. I have no home phone, and I dont watch TV. My TV,s are internet ready and I buy netflix for $8 a month. My kids and the admiral have more then they can watch.

Since I am in the NY tri state area I will be turning that cable TV part off and getting an antenea. I get about 10 channels with my campers antenna with the TV in there. Imagine if I put one on the roof... With the antenna I get HD TV and cant tell the difference from cable.

Additionally cable raised my internet to 39.99 a month and I am pissed. I cant get anyone else unless I go dial up...

I will pull the plug on everything one day.

Just my opinion on what I have. If it were me I would not have any because its all reruns anyway. What do you really need but local channels IMO.....Just subscribe to a streaming service and put an antenna on the roof. You will save oodles of money and less aggravation...

Old 09-20-13, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Mike.....you don't get NY stations down there....do you ? You get Philly ones ?

I'm a lot closer to NYC than you and have a big rooftop antenna and the reception is weak.

Old 09-20-13, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Off topic.....

You got the wrong antenna then max..... Philly is actually farther from me then NY. You need an amp.

I have this in the RV.

Go here..

AntennaWeb - Home

My neighbor has an antenna in his yard on cider blocks. ( fell off his roof during sandy) Aimed at NY. Great reception.

Old 09-20-13, 07:10 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have rabbit ears and a Roku.

Old 09-20-13, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
I have a mountain range between me and NYC. I have a dedicated long range antenna on the roof. My parents have that Winegard antenna on their motorhome (with the HD booster piece) and get one NYC station and several ones on the higher channels when parked in the driveway here. You must be looking up the coast.

Old 09-21-13, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Both Verizon and Comcast are out soliciting their products in my area.

Its been years since i changed from Comcast to Verizon Fios. Verizon had a much better picture and more incentives at the time,but i find both EXPENSIVE for their products. I hate all these expensive upgrades they both keep hawking.

Neither one gives me a real reason to change.

Appreciate your inputs

Thanks