Help! Hooking up TV stereo cable box Apple TV and blu ray

Old 10-26-13, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help! Hooking up TV stereo cable box Apple TV and blu ray

I have a very frustrating situation I need help with. I have a LN40B500P3f tv. Motorola cable box. Apple TV. A blu ray play with HDMI only. And a HTS3544/37 all in one stereo receiver/DVD player.

Currently I am able to get sound from my cable box through my stereo. I am not however able to get sound from my Apple TV or blu ray to come out of my stereo speakers.

My stereo receiver only has one hdmi port. The cable box is hooked up to that. This is obviously why the sound works. I then have my Apple TV and blu ray hooked to the back of my tv. Video works fine but no audio.

I'm no expert but logic tells me that if I take a digital audio cable from the out on my tv and use a converter to the digital coaxial cable in on the back of the stereo this would fix my problem.

Best buy is telling me that this will not work. They say that I need to get a new receiver that has multiple hdmi ports and hook up all my devices to this in order to get sounds from them. They say there is no way to do this with them hooked up to the tv.

HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-13, 06:13 AM
According to the manuals it will most certainly work. However, when you go in to the TV with an HDMI you won't get 5.1 surround at the Toslink output. You'll get only 2-channel stereo.

If you can stand having another remote, another option is an HDMI switch like this one.

Old 10-27-13, 07:23 PM
I agree with Rick I kind of have the same situation you have only I have two HDMI connectors on my set but had three things that were going to use HDMI ports. One of those things was my Blu Ray player the other a DVD recorder and lastly a desktop computer I use for Netflix and other online video.

So I finally bought one of those adapters and and it does work however be aware that the remote doesn't always work. This looks like it has auto switching but also be aware that doesn't always work. Most of the time it does but you can't have several devices on at once so turn the others off. You will also need to get more HDMI connection cords to hook it up which are cheaper online.

Old 10-28-13, 05:07 PM
Thanks for your help guys. You showed me a great inexpensive work around. I decided to take a slightly different approach. Lol

My stereo wasn't great to begin with. Best buy had a $500 Yamaha receiver on sale for 200 due to the fact that it had a small scratch on the side. It was even unused. The geek squad scratched it on install. I also bought new speakers and a Logitech harmony remote.

Everything looks and sounds great and better yet it is controlled by one remote.

Thanks again.