RF Distribution

Old 11-06-13, 07:29 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RF Distribution

Some years ago, an antenna man at my request installed a system where foxtel pay tv and dvd can be viewed or shared in 4 tvs around the house. He did a good job as all tvs are all so clear, getting all the channels, foxtel and any dvd played in main lounge room can be viewed in all tvs around the house as long as these are tuned into an empty channel. I however failed to ask exactly what was done. Now I've lost all his contact details so could not ask him.

Just wondering if I could get some advice from you. I only want to know what he could possibly have done for me to be able to share foxtel, dvd in all tvs and surprisingly very clear.

The antenna man run 2 cables (RG6) from under the house up to my lounge room where tv, vcr and foxtel are located. I went under the house and saw that . 1) Cable No. 1 is coming from the antenna and 2) Cable No,. 2 is the input of a 4 way splitter. 3)The outputs of the splitter are for the 4 tvs. As there are brickworks, I could not see exactly if there are other splitters. I could only see what those cables are coming from as when I pull the cables, I could see which ones were moving underneath the house. I was curious how he managed to join or combine all signals so I am presuming there is another splitter somethere which I cannot see due to the bricks

Would you have an idea if the man has installed another splitter which I could not see maybe a reverse one? I'm just curious how I could get all those services in one cable.

Cable No. 1 which is from the antenna connects to my foxtel aerial. Cable No. 2 which is the input of the splitter connects to my RF OUT of my video recorder. I connected a coax cable from RF out of Foxtel to the Aerial of my VCR.

Foxtel TV scart to my tv and Foxted VCR scart to AV1 of my VCR

Please see attached diagrams and explanation showing numbers for every plug or connection.

It would be highly appreciated if you could work out exactly what the antenna man could have done for me to enable me to share all the signal foxtel, dvd and all channels in all rooms around the house. Could this be the RF? Any information, advice and tips and tutorials will be helpful.

Thank you

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-13, 05:38 PM
A
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
Here is how it used to work.

The VCR/DVD player helps with the RF distribution.

To watch shows on one TV the signals from the antenna come down coax (RG6) cable A to the Foxtel box which selects one of them to send out the SCART cable F to the TV. This can be either a scrambled or unscrambled show.

To watch unscrambled shows on the other TVs the signals from the antenna for all channels come down coax (RG6) cable A to the Foxtel box and are all passed through to coax cable C to the 2 way splitter and then on to the DVD player that passes them all on to coax (RG6) cable B (#19) to the 4 way splitter that feeds the other TVs. Each TV can tune in a different unscrambled channel.

To watch scrambled shows on the other TVs the Foxtel box must select that one channel and send it out the RF out via coax cable C to the DVD/VCR RF in and the DVD/VCR passes this to coax cable B and the 4 way splitter. When this is done (use the Foxtel remote to set this up) only that one show can be shown on any or all TVs because the rest of the channels are not included in the output to coax cable C.

To watch a DVD or VCR tape the DVD/VCR player sends the output as a form of RF via coax cable B to the splitter and on to the TVs. When the DVD is played no shows can be watched on the other TVs because the RF for all channels from the Foxtel box intended to go to the 4 way splitter is preempted by the DVD output.

The TV fed by the SCART cable F cannot show a DVD unless it also has one of the 4 coax cables coming from the 4 way splitter.

To record shows the DVD/VCR receives the selected show via SCART cable E or from the 2 way splitter fed by coax cable C.

When the video signal is transmitted as RF via a single coax cable, the quality is not as good as it could be if it was transmitted via a SCART cable or a component video cable set using the formats for these cables..

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-06-13 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 01:36 PM
T
Thanks AllenJ, One more thing...

You've been such a big help and your explanation is clear concise, and succinct. I've read so many books but I just get more confused. But you gave me a clear picture. a big THANK YOU.

Analog signal has now been turned off in my area. Because of my existing set up, to watch foxtel, I have to switch to ATV on my tv and to watch normal tv programs I again have to switch back to DTV in the input source of my remote control. It would be good if my foxtel could be with the DTV channels then I dont have to keep switching back and forth.

I was told that the only way of doing this is using a digital modulator??? It cost around $1000. If you dont mind, could you enlighten me on how the digital modulator connects to my existing system so that I get Foxtel in DTV even though I only get analogue quality. Foxtel is perfectly clear already even as analog. I would only want foxtel to be easily accessible by being included with the DTV range of channels.

Would you know of any other way I could do this besides the digital modulator?

Old 11-07-13, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Not to derail the discussion...but what is "Foxtel"?

Old 11-07-13, 02:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Google is your friend, Vic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxtel

Old 11-07-13, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
OP is in MI verified via IP...so how does that work?

Old 11-07-13, 02:23 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Yeah, I did wonder about that part - maybe Australian TV really kicks tail?

Old 11-08-13, 02:25 PM
T
I have multiple homes and one of them happens to be in Australia. I am currently visiting family in the states so that is where the IP address is coming from . Now, Back to the original question.

Question regarding this portion of your reply:

"To watch a DVD or VCR tape the DVD/VCR player sends the output as a form of RF via coax cable B to the splitter and on to the TVs. When the DVD is played no shows can be watched on the other TVs because the RF for all channels from the Foxtel box intended to go to the 4 way splitter is preempted by the DVD output"

All bedroom tvs can access both the foxtel or dvd anytime. (of course only one at a time) Foxtel was set up as channel 11 and the DVD viewing on Channel 12. Of course there is only one screen but all tvs can toggle between foxtel and the dvd playback. Channel 11 for foxtel and channel 12 for DVD. I thought that RF only goes to one channel but how come in this case, it could go to 2 channels?

Old 11-08-13, 03:59 PM
A
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
I would guess that your VCR/DVD player has the ability to send out the RF signal for the DVD playing and superimpose that on the RF signals coming in its aerial jack It works so long as there is no signal coming in the aerial jack using the same channel the player output is modulated on. All the players I have seen in the U.S. can't do that, instead having an either-or: player output or aerial pass through output.