Crown 3600 Amp No power?

Old 11-11-13, 09:10 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Crown 3600 Amp No power?

My cousin was rewiring his rig and he smelled something slightly burning and immediately turned off the power on his amp so he waited a while and he pressed the power button and now no power. He asked for my help, I am a pc tech but never tried to fix any amps before since I cannot read circuit boards, I told him I can open the amp to see what was burnt or try to troubleshoot but I would need some guidance from an experienced Electronics tech, can anyone here help in any way please?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-13, 09:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,051 Votes on 975 Posts
Crown amps are second to none in professional amps. I've been using them for years.

Is that an MT-3600(microtech) or MA-3600(macrotech) unit ?

I'm going to assume yes............
There is a fuse on the back apron. This amp has a standard power transformer that can be checked for power. Two basic power supplies....one for each channel.
Did you find anything burned on the amp boards ?

It is very rare for this amp to just smoke like that. One thing that he may have done is not set the output bridging switch correctly.

How is he using the amp...... stereo, bridged mono, parallel mono mode ?

Old 11-11-13, 09:47 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It is the MA 3600, I haven't opened it yet, I wanted to inquire here for troubleshooting help first to see if this is something I can handle. I can go to him on Saturday and can perform any testing then. He was using it Stereo with the switch in the middle. He did not notice any smoke, he only smelled something more "heating up" than burning. He also mentioned that he tried to turn one of the screws on the outside cover but the screw would not turn and he did not want to round out the head so that's our first issue. In my experience with computers, any time a screw appears problematic I usually tap the screw this a small hammer to loosen it then attempt to unscrew it, would this same process apply here or would there be a better strategy? I am assuming that the screws on the amp were screwed in by machines which is why he cannot remove it?