Cleaning quality of VHS tapes up

Old 12-14-13, 05:20 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning quality of VHS tapes up

I have a stack of family tapes on VHS that I am converting to DVD using my Panasonic VCR/DVD Recorder combo, works great.

The issue with some tapes are they were taped on EP (SLP) when they were originally converted from 8mm camcorder tapes. Some of the videos are good, but others the tracking is all messed up. I have a tape cleaner that I tried cleaning the VCR with (bought in 2008, hardly ever used the VCR part of it).

I also still have one of the two VCRs that some of these tapes were originally taped on which helps the quality somehow. For those I was going to use that old Hitachi to hook up to my Panasonic and dub to a new VHS on SP speed before transfering to DVD. I also had an old Quasar VCR (terrible quality) that others were taped on, those I can't seem to clean up, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-13, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,044 Votes on 968 Posts
There really isn't a whole lot you can do to clean up poorly recorded or older VHS tapes. Many units today don't even play all the speeds.

8MM to ELP(six hour) mode is pretty questionable.

Instead of dubbing a tape to a tape and then to DVD........ go from tape right to DVD. Eliminate that extra step that will deteriorate the quality even more.

Old 12-16-13, 10:10 AM
A
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
Adjust the "tracking control both ways all the way before giving up on the tape quality.

Actually using an S-video cable to go from the source VCR to the recording machine will give better results than the yellow tipped (composite) video cable, of course provided that both machines have the appropriate jacks. This is true for nonsuper VHS and non-hi 8 also. You still need the red and white tipped audio cables connected the same way as before.