Mitsubishi projection TV vs-60705 won't display cable input but I can view a DVD

Old 12-20-13, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Mitsubishi projection TV vs-60705 won't display cable input but I can view a DVD

It has been getting worse over the past few months almost like it needed to warm up for a few minutes before the satellite feed through ANT A would be displayed and we could watch TV. Now over the past couple of days it is taking 2 to 3 hours before the tv works. I can switch the input and watch a DVD with no problems. I wonder if there is a module or component where the cable screws into the ANT A that can be replaced that will fix this or if it is time for a new tv? Could a tv repair guy fix it? Or am I wasting $75 on the service call? Thanks Scott from layton UT.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-13, 11:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The antenna connects directly to a tuner block. It is a completely sealed unit and gets changed as a unit. These TV's had a known PIP problem but I don't think that's an issue here.

That TV has a B tuner input..... have you tried that ?
If you have a satellite system why are you bringing the video in thru the tuner ?

In the service listing I see two tuner blocks listed. One is around 60.00 and the other around 35.00.

The guy will come there to check it for 75.00 ?
He won't service it there. These tuners are soldered in. He'd probably at least yank the guts to service the unit at the shop.

I'll wait for your response and we'll continue.

Pete Name:  xmas_attach-22947.gif
Views: 1922
Size:  332 Bytes

Old 12-21-13, 01:21 AM
Arrow

Thanks Pete! You are correct the TV also has what is called ANT B and I have tried attaching the satellite coax feed to that input and have the same results? You asked why if I have a satellite feed am I bringing it in through the tuner. How else would I get the signal to the TV? I have had this TV for about 15 years and have always had it connected this way. I also have a splitter on this feed and have the same signal routed to a small TV on the kitchen counter across the room so someone in the kitchen can watch and hear the same thing and there are no issues with the picture on this 2nd TV. I think from what you have said these tuner blocks are going bad and making connectivity intermittently when things warm up after the TV has been on for a period of time. Do you think these blocks are still available for such an old TV and could I solder them in myself? Thanks again for the feedback and please let me know if there is a better way to route my satellite feed to get the signal to the TV other than direct connect to ANT A or B. Scott

Old 12-21-13, 05:53 AM
Do you have yellow (composite video) and red/white (audio) outputs on the satellite receiver and the same color inputs on the TV? Using those would give you a better picture than the cable/tuner input. TVs made in the last few years and DVD players made in this century usually also have component inputs (red, green & blue connectors).

Old 12-21-13, 06:26 AM
Received 20 Votes on 20 Posts
We have not ruled out a loose connection where the coax cable connects to the satellite box or a splitter. Does it work with a different TV brought over to where your projection TV is located?

Usually it is not worthwhile repairing this problem in a TV. Using the red/white/yellow tipped cables suggested above would be better. This kind of tuner no longer picks up stations over the air with the possible exception of some low powered non-commercial stations.

A picture-in-picture system that can show two channels (not just one channel and DVD) has two separate tuner sub-units inside the (sealed?) tuner unit. If you have the same problem with either A or B then the problem would be in the "common" circuitry beyond these subunits, possibly still inside the sealed unit (or before such as having to do with the coax cable).

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-21-13 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-21-13, 08:10 AM
AllanJ / Rick - thanks and here is additional info. I brought my little TV from the kitchen and tested with the same coax cable feeding TV in question and it works fine so I have ruled out a loose or bad coax feed to big screen. I also am using a Satellite that is pushing one HD signal to the satellite receiver which is one floor down and on the opposite side of the house. The other signal is non HD coming into this same box which is then coax piped through the house and to the TV in question so my dish receiver is not near the TV in question to try and run the red, yellow and white connectors? I have gone as far as trying to take an OLD VCR and tried connecting my coax feed into it and then run the red, yellow and white connectors and the only thing that seems to display on the TV is the channel that I have the VCR set to but doesn't seem to want to push the satellite signal. If my TV set normally has to be set to channel 60 to receive the signal over coax directly connected to ANT A does anyone know what channels I would need to set the VCR and TV to in trying to use the VCR and red, yellow and white connectors. I feel like I should be able to get this working and wonder if I am missing something simple? Any other ideas? Thanks! Scott

Old 12-21-13, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
my TV set normally has to be set to channel 60 to receive the signal over coax
Do you only have one satellite box there running all the TV's ?
How do you change the channel you are viewing on the projection TV if it has to be on ch 60 ?

Your set has two tuner inputs on two separate tuner blocks. Since they are both affected the same way then they are most likely not the problem. I would have to say that the problem may be the power supply source voltage to the tuner stages. That could be as easy to repair as changing a capacitor but it may not be easy to find.

Since we've pretty much covered the problem with your TV I don't think having a serviceman come in to look at for 75.00 would be cost effective. He couldn't tell you anything more than what we've told you. You could take your TV in to the shop for service and at least save the 75.00 service call.

If that was my TV and I was set on using it.... I'd get a satellite box for that set.... located at that set and connected to the TV with audio/video connections.

Old 12-22-13, 05:24 AM
PJ, I have the same setup for Dish: The sat receiver feeds line-level analog or HDMI to the local TV and another output on the sat receiver can be set to modulate any CATV channel. The user picks a vacant channel and connects to the home's CATV cabling. The TV is tuned to the sat channel and an RF remote is used to change sat channels.

Scott, the VCR's input should be set to channel 60 (your local satellite channel). Make sure it's setup to receive CATV (cable) and not TV (over-the-air). Connect your little kitchen TV to it to verify that you have a picture. There is a switch on the back of the VCR that will tell you which channel it is on -- usually 3 or 4. That switch doesn't matter if you're using the yellow/red/white connections.

Old 12-22-13, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
So can you watch two different channels ?

Old 12-22-13, 01:10 PM
Pj - if you mean PIP I haven't tried that before but this one dish network receiver allows me to watch any channels I subscribe to when I put my HD TV on channel 61 and then for the TV in question I put it on channel 60 as Rick describes below and can watch any channels I want (doesn't have to be the same channel as the one being viewed on the HD TV). Unfortunately my little tv from the kitchen is so old it only has a coax input and no red, yellow or white connectors. I will have to see if I can locate another tv to test with or just hook it up as Rick describes and see if it works. I had tried it this way yesterday but am not sure if I had it set to catv vs over the air channels. Heading out to a family Christmas party now so probably won't have time to test this setup until tomorrow. I will post my results after trying Rick's suggested setup. Thanks for the continued dialogue on this!

Old 12-22-13, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
Keeps us posted.

It sounds like your VCR is on UHF channels and not cable channels. Hopefully it can be changed.

Old 12-24-13, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by PJmax
So can you watch two different channels?
Yes. There is a dual LNB on the dish that feeds a two-channel receiver. The receiver has both IR and RF remotes. The local TV is connected via analog or digital cables to receiver #1, and as I said the rest of the house is connected via the CATV system to receiver #2. Receiver #2 also has analog outs, but I have no need for them.