Need help getting dish tv to extra bedroom

Old 01-01-14, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help getting dish tv to extra bedroom

Hi excuse my ignorance with this subject, I currently have dish cable tv 2 boxes downstairs for 2 rooms and 2 bedrooms upstairs that get dish tv from the cable oulets controlled by the downstairs boxes I assume , I have a third bedroom that I want to get cable tv without renting another box and extra service fees the upstairs room i want to get the cable tv does not have a cable outlet how can i mirror one of the tvs from downstairs that no one really ever uses or can i use a splitter does anyone know the best way to do this? I hope Im posting this in the right place if not can someone help me I would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-14, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 25 Posts
Moved you to a fresh thread.

Have you considered their Hopper? Might be worth it to price the difference against what you are paying now. I'm getting upgraded today for free and the net difference is only $12/mo.

Old 01-02-14, 06:14 AM
Received 20 Votes on 20 Posts
Move the dish box from the upstairs TV that almost no one uses to the additional downstairs room. Continue the coax cable from the dish downstairs to the dish box input.

Provided that the distance is not too great, run an HDMI cable (or other video cable set) from the new downstairs location back upstairs to the seldom used TV. Connect this to the dish box output. Use and A/B switch if the two video cables would otherwise have to share the same output jack on the dish box.

Now you could do it more simply by leaving the dish box upstairs and running the video cable dowstairs to the additional location. But HDMI doesn't travel as far as analog video and if you could not use HDMI then the video quality at the additional, more used, location would not be as good.

Old 01-02-14, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
What type of cables do you have connecting your TVs upstairs? I assume coax. If so all you have to do is get a coax splitter and run the cable to the third upstairs TV. It's cheap, easy to understand and forms a reliable connection.

Since one cable box will be outputting to two TVs the signal may degrade after being split twice. A signal booster & splitter installed near the cable box downstairs will split and boost the power of the signal to preserve the picture quality. This works best if you install the booster close to the cable box where you are boosting and splitting a strong, clean signal though it requires two cable runs upstairs.

Possibly easier is for you to split from your existing TV upstairs to run to the new third TV. A simple splitter (about $2) can be used. A simple coax power booster can still be installed after the cable box downstairs to make sure the signal is strong enough to survive splitting.

Wireless is also a possibility but opens a whole other set of questions and complications. It's not too difficult but it can be more troublesome than simply running a cable from A to B.

Old 01-02-14, 10:11 AM
Thumbs up

This a great forum! Thank you for everyone's quick responses!!!

Old 01-02-14, 10:18 AM
Thank you for your quick response I'll be going to Home depot for splitter etc I will be using this site quite a bit lots of diy projects around the house!