T.V. Antenna

Old 01-12-14, 06:03 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
T.V. Antenna

Hi Everyone. Ok. Don't laugh but I'm looking for a T.V. antenna that will pick up the local channels as I don't have cable/satellite etc. I live in a rural area 10 miles outside of Ann Arbor, Michigan. I attempted to buy the rabbit ears at the local Radio Shack but I'm only able to get one channel in. Does anyone know of a solid antenna that will work. I'm not trying to pick up signals from Germany just the local channels 2,4,7 etc. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-14, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No laughing...no problem. Best place to start is here....AntennaWeb - Home

Put in the data..it will give you what you need.

Old 01-12-14, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
I bought a compact and inexpensive one off ebay from Lava. We are able to get stations fairly regularly that are 65 miles away. If all the stations broadcast from the same general direction you should have no problem with any outdoor antenna. But if they would happen to come from different directions, you might want a rotor to change the direction the antenna is pointing from a control box that is inside the home.

Old 01-12-14, 07:35 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I find these two sites to be far better than AntennaWeb.

The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps

TV Fool

Antenna web shows me as being able to receive maybe nine channels where in reality I can receive more than forty, albeit most of them of absolutely no interest to me. Even then, the mere presence of a local station on one of these sites is no guarantee that you can receive it. For example the Seattle PBS station is listed as easy for me to receive yet none of my five tuners will even get enough of a signal to be able to get any information at all. On the other hand I have a couple of low-power stations that come in just fine. I seem to have the most trouble with VHS stations.

Where you mount the antenna is as much luck as it is science. Theoretically the higher the antenna the better it will work but that is definitely NOT true in my case. I seem to get the best reception with the antenna about eight feet above the ground. Many decades ago my daddy had a friend that was a television engineer and they spent hours trying to find the best place for an antenna at the house where I grew up. Turned out to be in the side yard, about fifteen feet from the house and eleven feet in the air.

Old 01-13-14, 07:00 AM
A
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
For most stations, the channel number in their logo is part of their name and unrelated to their transmitter frequency or actual channel.

You need to research all of your stations' actual channel numbers.

If all of the actual channel numbers are 14 and higher (UHF) then you can buy a so called HDTV or UHF or compact antenna that has no bars more than two feet long.

Actual channel numbers 13 and below (VHF) need an antenna with the 2 to 3 foot bars and possibly a UHF/VHF splitter/combiner if the antenna has two sets of terminals on it. Actual channels 14 and above are received by the fins or bars 4 to 8 inches long.

For an antenna not specifically labeled HDTV, chances are you need one with a range 30 percent greater than the distance you live from the stations' transmitters. Also note that the transmitter location may be different from the studio and published address.

Most of the time you need an antenna rotator, or you could have two or three antennas pointed in different directions with A-B switches inside to select which antenna you want.

By the way, a "rabbit ear" antenna relies on the bowtie or ring in the middle to pick up actual channels 14 and above while the ears themselves are for actual channels 13 and below. You may get improved results for 14 and above by pushing in the ears all the way so they are 12 inches or shorter.

Old outdoor antennas that originally came folded in a box might be rejuvenated if you take them down and fold them and unfold them twice. This may clean the riveted joints that may have oxidized over the years increasing resistance (impedance) and degrading the reception quality.