'Need DVD/Blu Ray advice

Old 01-13-14, 10:14 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
'Need DVD/Blu Ray advice

My old DVD player is showing signs that nothing lasts forever. For a replacement, I'm needing advice.

- I'm low tech. (with a capital L)
- I'm not into High Def.
- I don't care about WiFi, Netflix, recording, etc...
- I'm just looking for something to play DVD's.

I understand that a BluRay player can also play DVD's. Is there any advantage to that? My TV has cable jacks and RCA jacks.

Do they still make something for people like me?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-14, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Sure...and BR players are so cheap now...no reason not to get one. If you ever upgrade the TV, you'll appreciate it. Of course...you may not find one with only RCA outputs. My older one has them, but I see many new ones don't.

Most BR players have WiFi...I know you are LOW tech....but do you have any sort a home network? Opens up a lot of content if the player can access the Internet.

I see that best buy has brand name DVD only players for as low as $40 if you go that way.

Old 01-13-14, 11:19 AM
E
....but do you have any sort a home network?

I have WiFi (and indoor plumbing, too )

What can of "content" does that "open up"? I trust your opinion more than the wise-guys at Best Buy.

Old 01-13-14, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Each manufacturer is different....but for instance...most include YouTube, Netflix (so you can stream movies), Hulu Plus, Twitter, Pandora radio, Facebook, etc. Also some better ones have web browsers included, though they may not be fully compatible with all sites. My older one has 10 or 15 different things...but no browser.

If your WiFi is good and fast, these services work well for streaming. If it's marginal...well...not so much.

Anyway...I don't think they include these on DVD players only...though maybe at the higher end.

You want built in WiFi...not Wi Fi ready....otherwise you need a USB stick to connect. Why mess with that.

Like I said though...you'll have to do some looking to find one with outputs for your TV.

Old 01-14-14, 11:37 AM
E
Thanks for the enlightenment

Old 01-18-14, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you're considering a Blu-Ray player, make SURE it has standard composite analog video and audio outputs (the red/white/yellow jacks). Most new Blu-Ray players have dropped analog outputs and output through HDMI only!

The downside to buying a new standard DVD player, is that by now, most are pretty bottom-of-the-line quality, with most manufacturers focusing their attention on selling Blu-Ray players. Many first tier manufacturers are dropping standard DVD players from their line-up completely. I've purchased a couple used standard DVD players, as backups in case my current DVD players go bad. I'm still living in the analog world and they'll have to drag me kicking and screaming to digital!