Sony Trinitron - problem with power

Old 01-19-14, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sony Trinitron - problem with power

Please help. I have a 2003 SONY Trinitron 36" TV model# KV-36HS510. When I turn the power off, it won't go back on. It takes about 50 - 100 times of me pressing thee power on slowly for it to turn over and start. Usually I keep the power on it and turn off the cable box instead. I happened to turn off TV my mistake yesterday and took me 24 hours to get it started again. It reminds me of a car with a low battery. When you try to start you can hear it click but won't turn over. You keep trying until it actually turns over. I would like to know how to fix it. The TV is great otherwise. I wouldn't want to throw it out, spend $300 to fix it, or buy a new one. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-14, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Do you get any flashes from the red LED on the front of the TV ?

Many new or newer Sony tv's were plagued with this power problem and it was directly traceable to the D board back in the early 2000's. Now many years later the problem still exists. The problem was tracked down to 2 IC chips on the Digital board which is the main board in the set.

Old 01-19-14, 07:58 PM
Yes, it flashes 3 times. I've had the problem repaired before, but would like to take care of it myself. Thanks for responding to my post.

Old 01-19-14, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
We're limited in pic size on this board so I'm leaving a link to a location with a large picture of the board in your TV. There are two IC chips that need to be replaced that will usually cure the dreaded start up problem. The IC's are MCZ3001D and can be found at amazon, eBay and other online sites found by searching.

Sony kv-36hs510

Old 01-20-14, 07:16 PM
Thanks for that. It looks like that is the problem. Getting the parts is not a problem, but soldering them might be since Im not too familiar with doing this. I will have to find someone to do it for me. Everything on that thread was exactly what was happening to me.

Old 01-20-14, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
You do need someone that can solder. If you can handle the soldering part..... go to an electronics parts store and pickup a solder sucker. You heat the joint and this device is like a miniature vacuum pump and will suck the solder out of the connection. They are also available online if you aren't in a hurry.

Not sure where you are located but two stores I frequent are Wayne Electronics in Wayne and Greenbrook Electronics in Greenbrook.

Name:  sucker.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  11.8 KB

Old 01-21-14, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the help. it looks pretty simple, just a matter of removing the IC's and soldering the new ones into place. I am in NJ, Hudson county, originally from Passaic County (the Wayne area). Is there a place I can take it and have them do this for me? Is it expensive? Now, my symptoms are like the ones from the thread you referred me to before, I just hope that is all I need. I would hate to have to get rid of TV, because it is in really good shape and I love SONY.

Old 01-22-14, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know of any TV service places in that area. You may have to consult your local phone book. Call and explain what you need done. I can't see it being that expensive.