Need help finding a wall plate

Old 02-23-14, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help finding a wall plate

Looking for a specific single gang Wallplate. I need it to include a single power outlet and a single RCA/Sub jack. Can't seem to find one or a possibility of customizing one. Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-14, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 515 Votes on 485 Posts
You won't find that in a single gang plate because you cannot mix high and low voltages in the same box.

Old 02-23-14, 01:53 PM
Does that mean these single gang outlets are against code?

Amazon.com : CUSTOM WHITE WALL PLATE HUBBELL AC 15A 110V POWER OUTLET + HDMI v1.4 ETHERNET+ CAT-6 HD 3DTV : Electrical Distribution Wall Plates : Electronics

I feel like I've seen many single outlet/hdmi 1-gangs quite often but I could be wrong.

What would be the best option for a powered sub? A 2-gang would be useless as it will only have 1 power source and 1 RCA cable?

Old 02-26-14, 06:17 PM
Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-14, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 515 Votes on 485 Posts
This is relatively new. AC and LV weren't allowed to be in the same box. The description says something about a divider to keep the wires separate.

The receptacle comes in one half and there are two ports in the other half. You can get an RCA in one port and a blank in the other.

The link shows an RCA jack and an HDMI jack. You can either pull out the HDMI jack out and put a blank in or try to order one with the blank.

Amazon.com : HUBBELL AC 15A 110V POWER OUTLET + HDMI 1.4 +RCA YELLOW CUSTOM WHITE WALL PLATE : Electronics Cable Connectors : Electronics

Old 02-27-14, 04:58 AM
Don't know about national, but our local codes have allowed it for years. I see it quite a bit in schools where the surface raceway has power, ethernet and A/V cabling in three separate divided channels. In hospitals it's used in 2g boxes behind the wall-mounted TVs. One side of the divided box carries cable and the other power.

I have never seen a single-gang divided box, but it's nice to find out they exist. Thanks for posting, bbohannon06.

Old 03-01-14, 10:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Those are called JLOAD plates, and the divider is built into the box, not the plate. They will not fit into standard boxes, you MUST use the special box designed for it. If you look at the photo of the backside of the device, you will notice the yoke mounting screws are offset from center.

IMO it's just another really dumb proprietary system that you or some new owner down the road will have to rip out and replace when it fails because they don't make it anymore. Why would you spend $50 on the device and $10 on the box just to get it into a single gang, when you can 2 gang it for about $10 total? It's not like it will be seen anyway.