Panasonic LED TV Flickering

Old 03-02-14, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Panasonic LED TV Flickering

I have a Panasonic TC-L42ET5 LED TV that flickers several times a minute while streaming wireless video. I'm thinking maybe something is wrong with the wireless LAN adapter. I've already contacted Panasonic and am awaiting a response. Was curious if anyone else has had this issue. The LAN adapter is external and appears as though it can be swapped out for another. I'm wondering if I could use a better third party adapter to see if that solves the problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-14, 06:23 PM
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Are you sure it flickers only when streaming wireless video?

I would suspect a failing backlight panel (LED array).

Old 03-04-14, 11:35 AM
Pretty sure. It's the basement TV, so we don't watch it very often, but I don't ever recall it happening while watching regular programming. I'll keep a closer eye on it.

Old 03-04-14, 08:52 PM
Are you sure it flickers only when streaming wireless video?
I'm positive. I just watched television for two hours and no flicker whatsoever. As soon as I started streaming, the flickering began. Flicker may not be the right term to use, but I'm not sure what else to call it. The screen goes black for a few milliseconds (you'll miss it if you blink) about once every 30 seconds while streaming only.

Old 03-18-14, 03:06 PM
I think it may be what is referred to as "adaptive streaming". Certain app (including Netflix) use adaptive streaming to modify the quality of the video signal automatically according to the available bandwidth. Rather than the video buffering when the bandwidth decreases, the quality is reduced so there is no interruption in the programming. This can sometimes cause a flicker, which is what I am seeing. Netflix started using adaptive streaming last year and YouTube apparently uses it too (the other streaming app where I notice flickering). Sounds like I need to switch to a wired connection to ensure I have the most reliable signal and thus reduce or eliminate the flickering altogether.

Old 03-18-14, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
It would certainly be a good idea to try a hardwired network connection first. Streaming can be difficult on a wireless network especially if in a fringe area of the wireless transmitter.

Old 03-19-14, 08:16 PM
I haven't installed a wired connection yet, but I just wanted to mention that I believe it is in fact the adaptive streaming that is causing the flicker. I clicked the info button on the remote to view the current resolution while watching Netflix, and each time the resolution increased, the screen flickered. Hopefully once I install a hard-wired connection, I won't see this issue again. If I do, it will likely be only when first starting a program (until the resolution reaches it's maximum of 1080).