dish diffuculties

Old 03-06-01, 06:09 AM
kkm
Visiting Guest
I have an old RCA 18 inch dish system from the early-mid 90s. The "select" button on the remote doesn't work, I tried a new universal remote (an RCA...someone here suggested a Cinema 7, but the store I went to didn't have one and sold me the RCA instead) The "select" button on that one didn't work either, however all the other buttons worked...the select button DOES work manually on the receiver. I don't know whether to get a new receiver that comes with a remote for $80, or try a whole new system, or exactly what. I did read the extensive thread on dish system, but I am afraid I am now hopelessly confused.

Old 03-07-01, 08:55 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Time to upgrade, I guess.

Old 03-07-01, 11:10 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
your replacement remote may not be 100% compatable, or the problem is at the receiver processor that can't understand certain codes coming being received from the remote.

I willy to bet the remote is not 100% compatable, but I can't say for sure. So you could...

1. live with it
2. buy a new receiver/remote
3. upgrade the whole system

this is really a personal choice, just teh receiver/remote may be cheaper and less work to install.
A new system may get you a dual LNA if your existing system only has a single LNA.

Quite often a new system is less than the sum of all teh replacement pieces of the system.

Old 03-08-01, 05:31 AM
kkm
Visiting Guest
Thank you dkerr and Gary! I got the new receiver/remote and you were right, it made things alot easier to install. I already had a dual thing on the old one, does that mean I might be able to have the old receiver in the bedroom or something? (even if the remote doesn't work, it's ok) The old card didn't work in the new receiver, it had a picture of the satellite on it and the new one has football players on it. I'm thinking it is probably more hassle than it's worth, but I figured you guys would know! I really do appreciate the advice gentlemen, thank you again.

Old 03-08-01, 05:43 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have a dual LNA then 2 receivers can be hooked to it. A dual LNA has 2 cable connectors on it so that 2 cable feeds can be feed into the house to 2 receiver locations.

The smart cards need to be activated and that could involve a call to your satellite provider, and I not sure if there is an extra fee at the satellite provider when using extra receivers, something that would have to ask to the sat. company.

Old 03-09-01, 06:58 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
For DirecTV, yes there is a fee for additional recievers,
alsthough I don't think you will need to re-authorize your
original one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: