Can I DVR a DVD?

Old 03-21-14, 03:49 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 1 Post
Can I DVR a DVD?

I've checked out a 5-disc DVD from the library, but don't know if I can finish it before it's due back. Can I DVR the series?

I'm thinking that if I hit "play" on the DVD, then "instant DVR"? It's through Dish, if that matters.

I guess I should have just experimented before asking this question. Is this possible?

Old 03-21-14, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I would just see if the library would let you extend the time on the DVD set. Or, return the DVDs. Let the library check them in and then check them out again.

Old 03-21-14, 06:20 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You can probably do it on a computer. If it is copy guarded you might have to just let it play on the computer and use a screen recorder to record it.

Old 03-21-14, 07:30 AM
L
Received 3 Upvotes on 1 Post
... So, my experiment would have failed.

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-21-14, 08:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you have a analog output from your DVD player and an analog input on your DVR and cables to connect the two you might be in luck. Digital format like using an HDMI cable will probably not work as it will kick in the anti-piracy measures. I wouldn't bother too much and just check the disks out again. I'd probably go crazy trying to watch five disks in a row. A little break might be good.

Old 03-21-14, 09:13 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I've wondered that myself. My Comcast HD DVR came with no owners manual and the Quick Start instructions only show 1 type of hookup. The DVR has a BUNCH of jacks & ports on the back but they appear to all be outputs. I have no idea what it's capable of.

Conspicuously missing is an HDMI input which I would think any non-cable-system DVR should have.

Attached Images  
Old 03-21-14, 09:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I'm fairly certain that those boxes will only record shows from the Dish.

If you have a DVD burner in your computer you can make copies that way if the discs aren't copy protected.

Old 03-22-14, 05:29 AM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Your DVR has all those output jacks or ports to be able to provide the highest quality (HDMI or Y/Pb/Pr component) to the best TV sets and some kind of output (antenna coax or yellow jack composite video) to accommodate any older TV set.

If there is no second jack for a given kind of video (e.g. composite) then there would be no input for that kind. Jacks not in use for output are not switchable to become inputs.

Old 03-22-14, 07:04 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are no 'service provider' DVRs that have any sort of input. They only record from their internal tuners.

Old 03-23-14, 02:51 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I think that you will find almost all commercially pressed DVDs will have a copy guard and that will make it difficult-to-impossible to copy the disc without using an intervening stabilization unit. Even some premium programs recorded off the air or from cable TV will have a copy guard that prevents making a copy from the copy.

Old 03-24-14, 08:55 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You're confusing Macrovision copy protection with the HDCP 'no copy' flag. Macrovision (the one you can defeat with a 'stabilizer') only worked to prevent copying to VHS. It messed with the automatic contrast control in the VCR, causing the picture to go light/dark. It is largely ineffective against analog recording to a standalone DVD burner. Most A/V receivers also unintentionally stripped Macrovision from the signal as well when routed through them.

HDCP 'no copy' only works on a compliant HDMI or DVI link to a recorder (like a standalone HD TiVo) from a high definition source (like a cable/satellite box), or from a high definition broadcast source into a recorder's ATSC/QAM tuner (such as a HD TiVo with a CableCard).

Old 03-24-14, 12:11 PM
F
I don't know about any of that, Matt. I DO know that when I copied all my commercial VHS tapes to DVD (admittedly via analog connections) I had to use the image stabilizer for any tape that had protection. I can't recall whether or not I have tried to copy commercial DVDs via my recorders so I don't know about that part. My Panasonic recorder does have the ability to make a direct digital copy of anything I have recorded on the hard drive to a DVD disc but the original recording is, as far as I know, analog.

I have a 55 inch LCD television and honestly, I haven't seen any huge difference between recorded or live programming or from either a commercial DVD or my home-grown DVD discs. I really need to get a Blu-Ray disc to see if the difference is as great as the advertising hype would lead me to believe. Sometimes I think the biggest difference is someone having the ability to brag about having the latest and greatest regardless of any perceptual increase in picture quality.

Old 03-25-14, 07:56 PM
J
Received 16 Upvotes on 12 Posts
Get back to us once you've watched a good BRD with 7.2 surround sound coming out of system and speakers that are not the quality of Bose of a HTIB. (home theater in a box) If you don't have the equipment to watch and listen to a BRD then you wont see any reason for the hype.

It's like air conditioning. If you've never had it it's no big deal. Once you have it, you never go back.

Old 03-26-14, 01:12 AM
F
What possible difference would the audio system have on the video? I'll agree that the speakers in the television leave a lot to be desired but there is no way that I'm going to drop another grand into this system just so I can hear more of the crash, bang and the other background noise in glorious surround sound.

Old 03-26-14, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
need to get a Blu-Ray disc to see if the difference is as great as the advertising hype
It is that great...if yer TV and eyes can handle it. Some TVs aren't as good as others...and to my eyes...sometimes it actually looks worse...prob because of the TV and my age. Even a cheap 5.1 system is normally better than using the TV speakers. No way I'd spend $1000 for a sound system unless I was wealthy and had a home theater room Last 2 I had were 5.1 all in one units with a BR player built in...about $200.

Of course...I still have a VCR...so my opinion is probably worth squat.

Old 03-26-14, 09:26 AM
J
It doesn't have an "effect" on the video .... it's just that a BRD is a package ... both video and sound. If you aren't interested in the sound ( yer right, thinner TV's equals crappy sound) then it's probably not worth it to you to get a BRD player simply for the video. DVD will do you fine. Whether you want to afford it or not is another matter. But .... as I say .... if you've never experienced a "good" surround sound system, you would be surprised. Most DIY'rs and novices have relatively inexpensive systems and more than likely turn them up so loud, it's annoying. A balanced system ( both audio and video) always brings a smile to my customers when they hear and see it. And granted ..... it's not any where near $1000.00.

A Kia will get you where you want to go as well as a Bentley. It's the ride and accessories, that's the difference.

Old 03-26-14, 09:35 AM
J
You can't have a thin TV that has good sound. That's the reason sound bars are so popular now.

Re the VCR, if you have any important tapes for that VCR, I'd suggest that you have them recorded to disk. By the time that VCR craps out, you may never be able to save the tapes. We had our wedding and a lot of the kids growing up on video tape. Didn't want to lose any of that.

Believe it or not but one very important tape to me was an old Walt Disney movie "Song of the South" that can no longer be easily bought. Had to save that too.

Old 03-26-14, 09:42 AM
F
I admit I haven't looked too hard for a BluRay disc and since I have fairly particular tastes in my movies it will likely be a while before I test the format. I do know that the inexpensive BluRay player I got with my television is a step down from my Mitsubishi DVD player of some ten years ago so I have kept that older machine.

As for the audio...Yep, the TV mounted speakers suck. Unfortunately my Samsung TV has ONLY a straight line output so I need to find an amplifier with a remote for a reasonable price. AND, that adds yet another remote control. I have a pair of Sonus Farber speakers from my stereo that would work well. Heck, I bought a tiny little mp3 player circuit board off of Ebay that drives these speakers as well as my Denon receiver. I just might try opening the TV and seeing if I can tie in the SF speakers in place of the inboard ones and see how it sounds. Probably not enough amp power for the window shattering bass but would still be better than the tinny sound it has now.

Old 03-26-14, 09:49 AM
F
..."Song of the South" that can no longer be easily bought. Had to save that too.
Actually, not all that hard to get a decent copy on DVD. I bought one about a year or two ago. It seems that Disney is not going to release it, at least not in the US but they are also not going after the pirate copiers either. I think this is the best we will ever get. Do a Google search for the vendor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: