Comcast bill too high....other suggestions ?

Old 04-01-14, 07:47 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Comcast bill too high....other suggestions ?

Hello all, haven't posted on here in years since I got divorced and lost my house! UGH

Anyway I have a high comcast bill of $155 a month. I was looking into Apple Tv or Roku. I know you ahve to buy the box for 100 bucks and then from what I understand you have to subscribe to monthly services for different stations. Can anyone chime in and help me decide. If I get rid of the TV service I will have to pay $65 a month for internet if I recall. Looking for options to getting rid of Cable. I called them and threated Direct TV but that did hardly anything.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-14, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
What about your local phone system? I constantly get offers from them for $39.95 a month HS Internet..guaranteed for 2 yrs, no contract

I dunno about the Apple or Roku stuff.

Old 04-01-14, 08:43 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I went in person to a Comcast store to turn in one of my cable boxes to save a few bucks a month. While there I groused about how little I get for $150 a month and how long-time loyal customers don't get any breaks. The nice lady offered me a "customer retention" package that doubled my internet speed, got a new modem, a DVR, bundled a phone line into the mix and cut the bill down to $99 for 2 years.

I left pretty happy.

I can always drop them tomorrow if something better comes along.

Old 04-01-14, 11:23 AM
Ok....I will try that maybe. Really don't wanna get rid of their cable internet because I have the middle line(750mb-1GB) internet because I have a ps3 and stream movies that I download to the PS3 from my computer. I got the home phone because they said it would lower my bill by 15$ a month. I do wanna turn in my receiver in my bedroom. Its the HD one b/c at the time it was free. I've been a customer of theirs for around 3.5 yrs.

Their store hours locally aren't the best and when you do go there is every low life that lives in town there. These people don't look like they have money for clothes...but watch out they have the 300 a month package! lol

I'm not hurting for money...but I just wanna cut some costs. My goal is 2.5 yrs debt free minus my car payment and to buy a house. I miss being a home owner and doing remodeling projects.

Old 04-01-14, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
the middle line(750mb-1GB)
Are you sure that's your internet speed? Sounds more like storage or something. I mean...mine is pretty fast and can stream anything no prob...but it's only 20 meg downstream. I've never heard of any provider as fast as what you state.

Old 04-01-14, 12:47 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
And I think that my cable TV bill is high at $25 a month!

Seriously, what I am doing is using an antenna to replace the cable. I dropped Comcast Internet service years ago in favor of FiOS, first from Verizon and now from Frontier. I will lose Discovery, a few government access channels and the Canadian station but since I rarely watched any of these channels I'll survive. The one that I will miss is ME-TV but that alone is not worth the cost.

Definitely drop the telephone service as you can get VoIP service just as good for a fraction of the cost. I pay $6.99 a month for an inward direct dial number and all incoming calls are free. Outgoing calls are 1.9 cents per minute and my total phone bill never exceeds $10 a month.

I recently had to contact Frontier to straighten out a mess with my credit card billing and during the process I asked for a lower cost. I had been paying $55.95 a month for Internet speeds of 15 down, 5 up and the rep said they would change that to $39.95 a month with no speed change. I haven't yet received a bill for the new amount so time will tell if it really took charge.

Back to Comcast...When the FiOS first became available to me Comcast offered to cut my bill, at the time around $60 a month (ultra basic TV and Internet 5/2) down to around $30 a month for six months. I couldn't refuse that so I delayed the FiOS for that six months. The difference in the Internet was amazing. With Comcast my VoIP phone was problematic but with the FiOS it was almost perfect. When FiOS finally came through with TV service I was tempted but they wanted to nickel and dime me for every little thing AND wanted a two-year contract to boot. At least with Comcast I was month-to-month and no penalties for discontinuing service.

But when Comcast went beyond digitizing even the ultra basic service and now is encrypting everything is where I drew the line. I will likely be returning all their equipment (three DTA adapter boxes) next week rather than pay for another month of service unless they make me one heck of an offer.

Old 04-01-14, 06:54 PM
I meant 750kb-1mb. Sorry.

We don't have FiOS here. I can switch to verizon DSL but I had that before and it wasn't the best for all the streaming I do. Maybe it was old phone cable or my router...who know. Anybody have the antenna to pick up locals that goes on your window? If I could do that and then get Roku or something and get the channels I want with that I will cancel tomorrow. Just wanted to see if anyone on here has it and could shed some light. I don't even need the phone...I only got it to lower my bill.

Old 04-02-14, 12:17 AM
F
I've tried several different antennas in the last several months and no indoor antenna will come close to the performance of an outdoor one. There ARE small outdoor antennas and they do work well. Also, while the common practice is to get the antenna as high as possible I have found that sometimes they work just fine only a few feet up from the ground. Antenna placement is as much dumb luck as it is science.

Old 04-02-14, 12:36 PM
Well I rent and my landlord doesn't want anything mounted on the house. It has newer siding and roof. I don't blame him. The yard is out b/c there are a ton of tree's. Only place I was thinking is the window attic window and then run a line to the first floor. UGH! Plus if I get roku the kids won't be able to watch in their room. Options are limited I guess.

Old 04-02-14, 02:10 PM
F
First thing is do you have a more-or-less clear view in the direction of the broadcast stations you want to receive? No antenna will pick up signals from the other side of the building with any reliability. I'm going to include a few links for you to check later in this post.

Some of the more expensive indoor antennas can do a passable job IF you have a clear sight line to the station transmitter. Trees are problematic and buildings almost always will interfere with a steady signal. Weather conditions, including wind if there are trees, will have some effect on the signal and may make watching all but impossible under certain conditions. I can almost guarantee the "two fer twenty bucks" antennas advertised on late night television are going to be useful only if the transmitter tower can actually be seen (may need field glasses) from your window. I have one antenna, about a foot wide, three feet tall and maybe eight inches thick that will get fairly good receptions on about half of my available stations when just sitting on the deck leaning against the railing when the active face is toward the transmitters.

My advice, after reading the following links (I have more if you want) is to buy a flat-panel antenna at the local big box homecenter and try it for a couple of days. The advantage is the liberal return policies of these stores, if it doesn't work for you then you can return it without a hassle.

TV Fool

The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps

AntennaPoint.com - Antenna Locator

Old 04-04-14, 09:21 AM
Ok...thanks everyone. I got a chance to run to the comcast store at 9 this morning. I returned my HD box that was a yr free for my bedroom and that will save 10 bucks a month. Asked the nice old lady behind the desk if she could please give me a retention package price. She looked at my account and said sorry its not available. I said ok thanks and walked out. I've been a customer since December 2011. So it hasn't been horribly long.

I'm going to get a hold of direct tv I think. Hoping they can mount on a pole that's in the back yard now.

Thanks again!