Dish Network

Old 05-08-14, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dish Network

Customer wants rough-in for Dish network. I've done Directv and Comcast many times, but I've never even seen a Dish rough-in. What do I need?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-14, 10:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
As far as wiring...... it requires two RG6-quadshield cables..... should be the same as Direct.

Old 05-08-14, 10:46 PM
Thanks! And, the newer Directv units only use 1 coax and a powered splitter thing.

Old 05-08-14, 10:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
You're right. Some systems use a single coax. I just run two automatically when I rough for them.

Old 05-09-14, 05:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Directv's new SWM system allows up to eight TUNERS to run off a single coax from a SWM LNB. That is not eight BOXES or eight ROOMS, but eight TUNERS. The Genie has five tuners in one box fed off one coax. An HR24 DVR has two tuners. While this is fine for some people, if you have a large house/large family and/or you become a timeshifting junkie like I am (I really don't watch ANYTHING live anymore, because I can't stand commercials ), eight tuner slots run out real quick. I have a Genie, two HR24's, and an H24 (total of 10 tuners), and that's only four rooms.

Directv markets the Genie and C25 RVU clients as a 'whole home' solution, but its limitations become readily apparent (just like with Dish's VIP Duo DVRs) when you have 4 people wanting to watch different things, and then recording timers start kicking in, creating live view conflicts where you have to choose between watching what's recording or canceling it (and you have the same issue with the Hopper/Joey system).. The way around the eight tuner cap is to install a SWM-16 switch, which requires four cables between the dish and the switch.

Depending on the package and equipment the customer wants, there are Dish dishes (lol) that require three or four cables from the dish to the inside switch as well. So it's always best to run FOUR cables from the wiring closet to the dish location. Cable is cheap, and this will accommodate the customer potentially switching packages or providers in the future without having to still have their house wrapped with coax.. You only need one coax from each outlet location to the closet though.

And there's no reason to run quad-shield unless the run in question is greater than 150' (or there happens to be a cyclotron or radio broadcast studio in the house ). Plain old $25-a-spool RG-6 CCS is fine. That's exactly what every provider's installers use and it works just fine. I've installed thousands of feet of it and never had issues.

Last edited by JerseyMatt; 05-09-14 at 06:18 AM.