I can't get an old Infinity Servo 10" subwoofer to work....

Old 06-13-14, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can't get an old Infinity Servo 10" subwoofer to work....

My parents recently upgraded their entire home entertainment system, and I was the lucky recipient of an old-school, yet still pretty kick-ass Denon/Infinity system. Everything worked before I took it home, but now I can't get the subwoofer to work for the life of me.

Here's what I'm working with:

Denon AVR-2500 Reciever
Denon AVR-2500 | Operating Instructions

Infinity Servo "SR 10 SUB" Subwoofer.
http://manuals.harman.com/INF/HOM/Ow...20SUB%20om.pdf

I've tried it two separate ways.

1. I connected the heavy gauge (lamp wire) that was used before from the "Main Speaker A" from the Denon (R/L) to the High Level Inputs on the woofer. I tried both with and without connecting to satellite speakers, and I removed the shorting strap when not trying to connect to satellite speakers. When I didn't connect the satellite speakers through the subwoofer, I used the "Main Speaker B" from the Dennon to the speakers directly.

Both ways, I was able to get sound to the satellite speakers. Being the novice that I am, I was surprised to find that even if the subwoofer was powered off, it still served to carry the signal to the satellite speakers without any problems.

2. I connected a single RCA cable from the "MONO (Subwoofer)" output on the Denon to the Left Low Level Input on the woofer (and then tried again on the Right Low Level Input). I realize that you'd only be getting half the sound without splitting it somehow, but you should still get something, right?

When I turn the speaker on, the red light comes on. From reading the manual, I believe this is a "stand-by" light. The unit is designed to only turn on when it is recieving sound and after 6 minutes of no sound input it will automatically shut off and leave this light on.

Was this possibly damaged in transit, or am I missing something really dumb on my part?

Any suggestions you've got would be greatly appreciated. I started putting the whole system together at 10AM and finally threw my hands up in disgust after 5PM.

EDITED TO ADD:

I just realized that this is a 4.1 unit. The last time I even paid attention and bought one was back when they are 5.1. I realize that today there's some crazy 11.2 units or more!

I don't know if the installers used a trick to get it to work, but I didn't take pictures before me my bro dismantled the entire thing. I figured I knew enough about this stuff to be able to figure it out on my own.

Short of any tips or tricks, is there any way that I can test the subwoofer without spending a fortune?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-14, 07:58 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I took a quick look at the PDF. The most obvious possibility is one of the fuses in blown. I imagine that you checked that already but I thought that I would mention it.

Old 06-22-14, 10:59 AM
Thanks man. I checked that already. There's even a buried back-up fuse that I pulled out and checked and it's ready to go if it blows.

I'm pretty sure that the "standby" light wouldn't even come on if the fuse was blown.

It just seems to me like for whatever reason I'm not getting the proper signal to the sub. I know that both of these units are different brands back in the days when compatibility outside of branding was basically nil, but the pros who installed it had it working at my parents house.

According to the manuals, I have everything hooked up fine. I can't believe that an Infinity Subwoofer, even that old, would have died in transit.

Old 08-13-14, 06:41 AM
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Did you make any connections or experiments not in accordance with the instructions?

It is possible to blow the input stage or the output stage with a bad connections.

"High level input" does not necessarily mean something you can connect the speaker outputs of an external amp to. "High level" can also mean the regular input or line input for an amp compared with a microphone input which would be "low level,"

Also, connecting an external feed to a driver (woofer, tweeter) without first disconnecting the driver from a built in (into the cabinet) amp can damage the built in amp.